Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Just diagnosed with prolapse any advice

(5 Posts)
Dinglehopper Fri 03-Feb-17 14:23:54

Just been to docs and have been told I have a prolapse looks as though my bladder is falling down and may need surgery. Just hoping for general advice as I'm scared at the thought of it. Wish I had went to see the doc earlier but was too embarrassed.

MollyHuaCha Fri 03-Feb-17 17:08:07

It's such a common problem in women, especially those who've had assisted deliveries or larger babies. You will hopefully find lots of people on MN who have had this surgery successfully. smile

Fauxgina Fri 03-Feb-17 17:34:37

Big hugs it sounds really scary right now but it doesn't have to be! Do you know nearly 1 in 2 women will likely get some form of prolapse in their lifetime so it is quite common and there's lots of treatments and not all involve surgery.

Who told you it was a bladder prolapse? GP or gynaecologist? Are you having bad symptoms? You can get a pessary which might help lift your bladder up without surgery and you could possibly have physiotherapy that could massively help too.

Have a glass of wine tonight if you like, it's ok to feel upset.

Dinglehopper Fri 03-Feb-17 19:20:32

I didn't realise how common it was until gp gave me print outs with information.

It was the gp , she has referred me to a gynaecologist for further checks and yes I have been having quite a few symptoms for months and have stupidly carried on as normal.
Have tried the pessary weights that are supposed to help strengthen pelvic floor and was unable to insert them as they kept pushing back out and it was painful.
I have had a quick look at the different treatment options (including pessary to hold bladder in place) and have now spoken to my mum and apparently she had a prolapse and ended up in and out of hospital with various treatments before having a full hysterectomy at 32 years old.

I think a glass of wine and some chocolate sounds like bliss right now.

chloesmumtoo Sat 25-Feb-17 11:53:02

I know how you feel, I have been to the doctors myself too this week Dinglehopper. Glad you have been referred, that's good. I have to wait another 3mths and go back for a review at the doctors again before anything else, as recons I don't have prolapses but lax walls hmm Bit fed up about it now as wanted to finally start doing something about it all (esp after putting it off for so long), so many awful symptoms. Can feel what I think is the bladder and bowel cave in and meet when straining if I have full bowel sad Apparently cant be cured just helped with eg pelvic floor. I have bought the kegel 8 ultra electronic device and have been trying that for 3weeks now. No idea if it is helping, at first I thought it was but now my symptoms just seem worse by the day confused

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: