Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

painkillers for period pain

(10 Posts)
PeppaTheFirst Thu 02-Feb-17 23:51:29

Does anyone know if there are any issues with me taking 2400mg of ibuprofen plus the max recommended paracetamol for 3-4 days every month for period pain? 800mg of ibuprofen is max recommended over counter but when I had tooth infection doc recommended 2400mg for the short term so I thought I could up it for time of month when I really struggle. Taking this level of ibuprofen plus the paracetamol is the only way to take the edge off and still have to use heatpads to get through work and hot water bottles at home. Before I was pregnant I used to take mefanamic acid but I don't think they were as effective as they were made out to be. Don't know if I should give them another go though as period pain is a bit better since I've had DC. Should I be concerned about this amount of painkillers?

MrsTerryPratchett Thu 02-Feb-17 23:52:36

Well yes, liver damage. But I'm not a doctor. What about depo or something?

PurpleDaisies Thu 02-Feb-17 23:57:03

Have you been to your doctor about this?

Cocodomol and ibuprofen work for me. There are other options above just paracetamol and ibuprofen. I wouldn't carry on exceeding the recommended dose without seeing a doctor.

PurpleDaisies Fri 03-Feb-17 00:01:39

Does anyone know if there are any issues with me taking 2400mg of ibuprofen plus the max recommended paracetamol for 3-4 days every month for period pain?

I just realised I forgot to answer this-there's a slightly increased tisk of stroke or heart attack when you take higher doses of ibuprofen. You need to talk to your doctor about what's the best way to control your pain.

iamapixiebutnotaniceone Fri 03-Feb-17 00:01:57

I wouldn't recommend anything codeine based, it causes constipation which has in the past made things worse for me personally. I would recommend that you check in with your doctor about the ibuprofen because while larger doses are ok in the short term I'm not sure about frequent larger doses. Your GP might be able to suggest something else specifically for cramps

PeppaTheFirst Fri 03-Feb-17 00:07:25

Thanks all. Not been to the doctor for a few years about this (but only been taking this kind of dose for past few months) but think a visit is in order. Was on the pill before I got pregnant which helped a lot, but not keen to go back on it. Because this has been a long standing problem you just end up putting up with it I suppose. Will make appointment! Thanks again.

dontlikememuch1 Fri 03-Feb-17 00:28:09

Glad you going to see dr. I've had a multitude of stuff but all prescribed (tramadol, diclofenac, dihydrocodedine, oramorph, naproxen, anti sickness tablets etc). Best to see GP as they will be able to give you tailored advice. Tbf I think mefenamic acid is crap , never has helped me at all but gynaecology seem to think it's a magic fix and refused to believe me when I said it made me feel worse , not better.

Katiepotato Fri 03-Feb-17 00:46:32

Taking 600-800mg ibuprofen 3 x a day is fine as long as you take it for a short period of time and take it with food. That dose is the general standard dose in Europe but for some reason we don't do that here. Obviously don't exceed the paracetamol dosage as that can cause serious problems.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 03-Feb-17 00:49:38

Another thing you can add to the paracetamol and ibuprofen is Buscopan. It's currently helping me dramatically. There's a version that has ibuprofen too so be careful not to exceed your allowed level. I just take the one that's buscopan only. Take 2 at the first twinge.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 03-Feb-17 00:50:17

Really, really go and buy some - might be life-changing!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now