Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Swollen lymphnode behind my ear

(11 Posts)
Picklesandpies Thu 02-Feb-17 20:25:45

Hi,

This morning in the shower I discovered what I think is a swollen lymphnode behind my left ear. Nothing on the right hand side. It's a bit tender when I touch it. Feels more tender this evening but that might be because I've been poking it. It's not massive but definitely there.

Of course Dr Google says it's cancer - actually it doesn't - it says that's one of the more unlikely things. I don't feel unwell in myself as in throat etc but my daughter has an awful cold. I have been having some issues with my back and also my bottom which is being looked at. Think my back could be from lifting Christmas tree on my own - and bottom, not sure. Just feels sore but no blood or anything visible apart from usual post children piles. I had thyroid removed 2.5 years ago as was overactive. Have fun abscess on gum but had it for three years and it's being treated. Not on that side though.

Can anyone offer any reassurance on lymph node? I had loads of bloods done last week for my up coming thyroid appointment - had Full Blood Count etc done and doctors weren't concerned despite lymphocytes and white blood cells being low.

Having a bit of a panic...

Thank you so much x

RedBugMug Thu 02-Feb-17 20:28:08

might just be an infection. keep an eye on it and see your gp if it gets larger or you feel unwell.

YouMeanYouForgotCranberriesToo Thu 02-Feb-17 20:38:10

I have one that's been there for 4 years. Had an ultrasound earlier this year and was told it was just an enlarged lymph node, quite common in young women. It feels relatively large to me, but is only 4mm.

I used to work with the team who dealt with head and neck cancer at the hospital and so I know it has to be over 1cm for them to be concerned and even then often biopsy results come back as just a reactive lymph node.

Keep an eye on it and if it doesn't go after a few weeks or gets bigger then go to the doctor.

Picklesandpies Thu 02-Feb-17 20:47:45

Thank you - really appreciate the reassurance. I will get it checked if it doesn't go back down.

Chocwocdoodah Thu 02-Feb-17 23:17:41

Just wanted to add - I had a big lymph node on my neck some years back for no reason. No other symptoms. Dr checked me thoroughly and did bloods which showed white blood cells being low, indicating I was fighting something. Repeated bloods about a week later and levels were back up. Dr concluded that sometimes your body can be fighting something so minor, you have no idea about it but your lymph nodes sometimes reach disproportionately to the infection. So it could very well be nothing to worry about.

Picklesandpies Fri 03-Feb-17 08:11:40

Thanks Choc - that's good to know. I'm trying not to worry wink

Twopeapods Sat 04-Feb-17 06:53:46

I am always prone to enlarged lymph nodes on my head and sometimes have had 3/4 all at the same time. They are a bit tender but go away on their own. One behind my ear from years ago stayed up and is now rock solid. It's 2cm and now just feels like part of my skull. The doctor gave it a name and it has never caused any problems. And that was years ago.
Yours will probably go down once it's finished fighting an infection of some sort. Try not to worry.

digerd Sat 04-Feb-17 16:38:01

I had a largish lump behind one ear and couldn't open my mouth very wide as jaw was too stiff. It was Mumps when I was 16. I remember not feeling ill at all just the discomfort in my jaw when eating.

Picklesandpies Sat 04-Feb-17 21:15:07

Thanks for the replies - I asked my endo consultant today and he said it's a reactive lymphnode as pp said she had seen. It's quite sore to lie on but I'm glad it's been looked at. Thanks for the replies x

Laquila Sat 04-Feb-17 21:59:03

I had one once behind my ear - they biopsied it and it turned out that I had toxoplasmosis. I felt pretty bloody low from the toxo but the tests showed that I was already producing the antibodies that we're fighting it, so I don't think they gave me any medication for it, and i recovered fine. I still get enlarged lymph nodes behind my ears but they don't give me any trouble.

Picklesandpies Sun 05-Feb-17 18:16:47

Thanks for the reply - that's interesting. Did yours feel tender to lie on? Most annoying as it's the side I sleep on!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now