Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Fractured ankle

(10 Posts)
user1482825879 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:39:25

Hi I fractured my ankle three weeks ago and for first week it was very painful to walk. I was put in a boot. The remaining two weeks it's been better to walk on and the doctor said that as of today to start walking without the boot. I already have been walking in the house without the boot off and although it's painful it's not too much pain unless I move the ankle then it's quite painful. Anyway I tried going to the corner shop last night and today with a doc Martin boot and then today a trainer and it really hurts. I feel like I'm being a bit mard. Also after going to the shop yesterday in my doc martins I got home and a bruise had appeared just under my knee cap that was quite painful. I think the doctor has took me off the boot far too soon and I'm really worried about going back to work on Monday for 13 hour shift on my feet all day.

mm81 Thu 02-Feb-17 17:53:58

Hi
I broke mine 7 years ago in two places and I had two nails put in for 6 months. I was signed off for 3 months and had to sleep and sit with the leg elevated to avoid swelling and promote better healing. Best thing I did! I appreciate you may not be able to be off work for that long but
IMO you doc is mad not you for not making you wear the boot for longer! I would go back and get them to look at it asap. Last you need is for it not to heal properly.
Let us know how you get on and I wish you speedy recovery x

user1482825879 Thu 02-Feb-17 18:31:54

Thank you, it does seem weird because when I fractured my wrist and when I fractured my other leg, although that was many years ago and a different kind of fracture I was still in a cast for a long time. He's just like yeah take the boot off and walk on it. I've tried that and it's very painful but I don't want to appear to be a moaning eccentric and he kinda made me feel like that.

mm81 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:40:57

This doctor is not on! Making you walk on FRACTURED ankle! You are not being eccentric .. please get it looked at asap x

user1482825879 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:52:20

That's my second from smallest toe tonight I can't feel anything in top of toe and lots of pain in bottom of toe. I've been poking it with tooth pick and nothing

user1482825879 Thu 02-Feb-17 21:53:07

It's swollen like a balloon x

lougle Thu 02-Feb-17 22:32:33

They don't like it immobilised for too long because it causes muscle wastage and you tend to compensate for the boot by throwing out your leg, which causes problems elsewhere. I don't think he would imagine that you could walk normally on it (as in, with normal weight, pace and speed), but just as you'd be careful on a sprained leg without a plaster cast, after 3 weeks a simple fracture should be healed enough to weight bear safely.

lougle Thu 02-Feb-17 22:33:43

Are you keeping it up when you are resting?

dementedpixie Thu 02-Feb-17 22:40:02

My dd just had 5 weeks in a cast for a fractured ankle. I wonder why you just had a boot confused. She is down to using one crutch after 1 and half weeks with the cast off.

user1482825879 Thu 02-Feb-17 23:12:44

I don't know it's very odd. I'm assuming it's a simple fracture but for the length of time it's been broken and the pain is still quite bad I can't understand why he would suggest not wearing the boot. I also don't understand why, when I'm in the home it's painful without the boot but nothing like the pain I've had wearing a normal shoe to the corner shop. It's pain in the ankle too not just muscle pain because my leg is getting used to being in a shoe again. It just doesn't feel supported. And now I can't feel my second smallest toe because it's swelled that much I've lost feeling in it and its painful underneath. I've also developed bruising bellow the knee and on the top of thigh. I think he needs to take another look because it doesn't seem right for a fracture to cause this much pain x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now