Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Nose piercing

(7 Posts)
toogoodtobetruex Thu 02-Feb-17 14:06:12

I've had my nose pierced for 6 months. I got one of those weird bumps next to the opening, decided to remove my piercing, give it a good clean and then put it back in. Oh no. I removed it, cleaned it, it must have swollen and I could NOT get the stud back in.

At the minute have managed to get a very thin stud in, thinner than the one I originally had in, so the hole hasn't closed completely. However it is red and sore (I imagine partly due to my prodding for an hour). I am using a salt solution on it a few times a day. I just bought a surgical steel ring in the thicker size. Should I try put this in right now before the hole closes anymore or wait until the swelling/soreness goes down and stick with this tiny stud? I don't want this small stud in if possible, it's too thin and flimsy.

DearMrDilkington Thu 02-Feb-17 14:11:38

Wait for the swelling to go down, keep cleaning the piercing at least twice a day too.

It won't close up with a stud in, but you need to leave it to heal before you change the stud again, you don't want an infection!

toogoodtobetruex Thu 02-Feb-17 14:14:05

DearMrDilkington Thanks! That's what I figured. Just worried that the hole will close to the size of this thin stud and i wont be able to get my others back in? I don't know, they're not that much thicker.

But yeah, rather that than get it all infected smile.

DaisyQueen Thu 02-Feb-17 14:16:38

I've had this before. I went from a very thin stud to a thick stud then to a closed ring all in one day and it took about 2/3 weeks for it to settle down again. I would stick with what you have for now. Keep cleaning regularly and when it was healed try with the ring.

JonSnowsWhore Thu 02-Feb-17 14:26:49

Same happened to me, I took the stud out & put a thin ring in, it healed pretty quickly after that, but now I can't get anything thicker back in it. & it really is a thin ring, like earring width so I guess I'm stuck with it now!

toogoodtobetruex Thu 02-Feb-17 14:31:45

JonSnowsWhore Oh no! I think that's gonna happen to me. This is like super thin but it's all I could get in cos it was swollen after all the trying. I'm gonna leave it until the redness and swelling goes down cos I don't want an infection. Fingers crossed!

JonSnowsWhore Thu 02-Feb-17 15:05:28

If it comes to it once it heals you can always go back to the piercer & they will get a bigger one in for you. Had to do that with my tongue when I nearly let that close up. That was bloody horrendous lol

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now