Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gynae oncology appointment following a scan?!

(6 Posts)
Snugglepalace Thu 02-Feb-17 09:10:40

My poor Dsis was ringing me yesterday in a right state. She has been having period problems and pain for a while. Following a gynae consultation in Dec she had a scan 10 days ago. She was told at time of scan she had a cyst on one of her ovaries. Yesterday she has come home from work to find an appointment for 2 weeks time at the gynae oncology department! No other explanation and now she's so worried. She's going to ring today and ask questions but of course we are worried now. She's 41.

cushioncovers Thu 02-Feb-17 09:15:41

A simple cyst on the ovary although painful rarely needs a follow up oncology app. Did they explain anything else to her after her scan? Hopefully if she phones up today she will get a clearer picture of what the new app is for.

Snugglepalace Thu 02-Feb-17 09:29:16

No, no other explanation from them cushion. I had a cyst a little while back but they re-scanned me 3 months later and it had gone which they said was normal. Dsis has tried ringing department but just keeps ringing!

FallenSky Thu 02-Feb-17 09:59:08

Could she possibly speak to her gp today and see if they've had a report or anything through to maybe give her a better idea of what's going on?

cushioncovers Thu 02-Feb-17 10:58:21

Often cyst disappear over time on their own. If they thought it was anything sinister they really should of expressed their concern after that first scan and told her to expect a follow up referral to oncology. Without being disrespectful maybe they did but you dsis didn't understand it absorb the information given. Anyway fingers crossed for it being a routine precaution flowers

NavyandWhite Thu 02-Feb-17 13:29:37

How worrying for her. I hope she's managed to speak to the department today to find something out. It could be various things but getting a letter like that must have scared her.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now