Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sats in sleep?

(9 Posts)
gazingatthestars Wed 01-Feb-17 23:07:41

What should your oxygen saturation if your blood be in your sleep? Is it above 94 or is anything in the 90s basically ok? Does anyone know?

Ineverpromisedyouarosegarden Wed 01-Feb-17 23:09:21

Ideally above 94. For a healthy person more like 98-99

123bananas Wed 01-Feb-17 23:11:09

Above 92 is okay.

If you have COPD sats can be anything from 88-92 and above 85 in certain cases when awake.

gazingatthestars Wed 01-Feb-17 23:22:04

Thank you both. My kids are at 93-95 tonight (wheezers) and I couldn't remember if that was ok or not

Crumbs1 Wed 01-Feb-17 23:35:56

Unless you have been given a medical management plan that states that lowered SATs are OK and details the action at specific parameters then normal SATs should be above 95%. Most people's will be 96-100% on air.
People with COPD should have the limits made clear.
People with asthma should have a written management plan that adheres to BTC asthma guidelines.
Your are very borderline. If they are wheezy such that SATS are down to 93% and staying down you need to get them seen.
When you say 'wheezy' do you mean asthmatic? Do they have inhalers with spacers and are you using them in accordance with the instructions you've been given? Why have you got a SATS monitor? Assume they have an ongoing condition so you should have been given advice about when to seek a clinical review, no?

banangramspam Wed 01-Feb-17 23:39:06

What crumbs said!

Are you in the UK? If so, then if you have an NHS issued SATS monitor then there should be a clear plan for what you should do at what O2 reading....

DD has lung disease and sats lurking in low 90s isn't considered acceptable for her.

spencerreidswife Wed 01-Feb-17 23:40:49

As PP said do you have an NHS issued monitor?

gazingatthestars Thu 02-Feb-17 04:47:27

Dd1 has asthma and I guess we should really have taken her in but we've been in hospital so much (as below) we can't bear it and therefore trying to manage her at home. Dd2 has upper airway issues awaiting full diagnosis and management hence why we have sats monitor for her. They should have given us a limit of when to bring dd2 back in but they didn't. Dd1 is actually the worst but responses to inhalers.

PlugUgly1980 Thu 02-Feb-17 05:48:34

My little girl suffered terribly with her chest, several cases of bronchiolitis as a baby and now diagnosed with asthma at the age of 3. Our children's ward discharge when sats remain 92 or above whilst sleeping...I have sat and watched that machine so many times praying it didn't drop. If it drops below (other than an odd blip) they'd start oxygen. They'd expect them to be higher when they're awake as they naturally drop a couple of % when they sleep anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now