Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Brain CT

(8 Posts)
Goingtobeawesome Wed 01-Feb-17 17:52:49

My GP has referred me for a brain CT. Can anyone tell me what to expect please?

WinnieFosterTether Wed 01-Feb-17 22:48:20

DH had one recently. Short waiting time before being taken in. In the CT room, he had to lie down on a bed. The CT scanner is donut-shaped and was positioned over his head. There was a large gap between his head and the scanner so it's not claustrophobic at all. Entire process took less than 20 minutes.

RaindropDreams Wed 01-Feb-17 23:10:32

They may insert a cannula if they are using a contrast dye. The dye was injected towards the end with me and they warn that it makes you feel warm then like you have wet yourself .... but you haven't. It was quick and painless. Just lay very still and try and think of nice things xx

Goingtobeawesome Thu 02-Feb-17 07:27:43

Thank you. I'm worried about feeling claustrophobic. I had to have an MRI on my pelvis last year and I shut my eyes the whole time. I peeked for a second then shut them again blush.

Kittyshopping Thu 02-Feb-17 07:49:02

A CT machine is different from an MRI. It looks like a giant polo mint standing up on its side. The hole in the middle is huge. MRI machines are long tunnels which is why claustrophobia is an issue. If it's definitely a CT you are having you will not feel shut in.

I've had a brain MRI and got diazepam from my GP as I was nervous. It was fine.

Hope it goes well.

MrSlant Thu 02-Feb-17 07:57:24

I had one last week it was very quick and MUCH nicer than an MRI. I'm a radiographer so it was really exciting. I need to get out more.

You go in, check details, make sure you have no metal around your head (hair clips, hearing aids etc) then lie down on the couch which moves up and into the bit polo mint and they use a red light to approximately position your head. Then they will put wedges either side to keep you in place and a strap gently over your forehead for the same reason (movement ruins the images). For the first scan you will be able to tell you are moving as they do a general over view (scout). They plan the next set of images from this and will then continue with the main scan where they move at tiny increments through the skull. As a someone who knew I should be moving it was very hard to tell.

You will not feel at all claustrophobic, it's not like an MRI at all. I had one of those and it was only because I'm a radiographer and was too embarrassed to make them stop that I managed to stay in there (it was entire spine so over an hour in my defence!)

WinnieFosterTether Thu 02-Feb-17 08:01:14

Here's a good pic of a CT scanner so you can see there is lots of space.

Goingtobeawesome Thu 02-Feb-17 11:16:26

Thank you everyone. You're all very kind when I'm panicking. I'm not well with something else at the moment which isn't helping.

I'll move?! confused.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now