Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

How long to bleed before visiting GP?

(18 Posts)
redannie118 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:01:36

Hi guys - posted on here before always had Stella advicesmile
Been on Cerelle for 2 years and until a few weeks ago no problems, no spotting, breakthrough bleeds or periods the whole 2 years (bloody fantastic!)I was placed on Cerelle specifically as my periods were horrific to the point that one week per month I was virtually housebound
20 days ago I started bleeding. Came as a bit of a surprise but I knew it's not unusual as I have friends on cerelle who say they still have a few light bleeds a year.Problem is its never stopped and shows no signs of doing so ! Has been very heavy the whole time (super plus tampons needed) plus big thick clots (sorry tmi !)and cramps / nausea. I don't know if this is just to be expected after going so long without a period?could it be menopause related? (I'm 44)I really don't know if this is something to bother GP with, and even if I do would they be able to do anything?
Any advice/similar situation would be fab thanks in advance!and sorry for length !

Stormwhale Tue 31-Jan-17 20:09:22

Can you use a pad to see how much you are bleeding? If you are soaking a pad in under an hour, you need to be seen immediately.

If it is less than that I would be making a GP appointment tomorrow.

redannie118 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:11:24

Hi storm I don't think it's that's much as a super plus tampons is lasting about 2-3 hours, but yes I can do that

Stormwhale Tue 31-Jan-17 20:13:45

That is still quite heavy, you poor thing. I would definitely pop to the doctors tomorrow. 20 days is a long time to be bleeding like that. How big are the clots? If they are very large then I would phone 111 for advice tonight.

redannie118 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:30:19

Clots have been about the size of a 50 pence peice with a few about twice that size

Stormwhale Tue 31-Jan-17 20:33:37

I'm hoping someone a little more knowledgeable will come along, but I remember on a recent thread something about it being an emergency if the clots are half the size of your fist or something. I think at very least a Drs appointment tomorrow. If you are feeling really unwell then call 111 tonight. I hope it stops for you soon, it sounds horrible.

redannie118 Tue 31-Jan-17 20:49:05

Thank you stormflowers yep I will see GP tomorrow even if it's just to put my mind at rest !

Stormwhale Wed 01-Feb-17 22:36:30

How did you get on op?

TinyGoldfish Wed 01-Feb-17 22:41:27

Yes any news? I'm in a similar situation and was hoping to visit the GP vicariously through you!

TinyGoldfish Thu 02-Feb-17 18:13:34

Hope you're ok OP.

redannie118 Fri 03-Feb-17 19:32:32

Hi everyone sorry no news no apps available till next week sad still no slow down to the bleeding though. Tiny are you on cerelle too?

TinyGoldfish Mon 06-Feb-17 16:01:08

No I'm on microgynon 30. I'm on them back to back to help my endometriosis but have been bleeding for days and days and days so I don't think it's really helping!

I can't believe you can't get to the GP until next week. I have a telephone appointment on Wednesday so will let you know if they say anything useful.

mumsnit Mon 06-Feb-17 16:37:50

I had sudden bleeding with mirena and has turned out to be due to a polyp. Am also in my 40s and apparently quite common. Make sure you get a scan as they should investigate further - first GP I saw just fobbed me off with more pills hmm

redannie118 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:07:01

Thanks I will

redannie118 Mon 06-Feb-17 20:09:00

Also worried as family history not great. My mum had a hysterectomy at 34 because she was bleeding so badly and my little sister had one at 36 as she had uterine cancer sad the oncologist said she was the youngest patient she had ever seen with that cancer

TinyGoldfish Mon 06-Feb-17 21:16:30

That's terrible. I'm so sorry red.

flumpybear Mon 06-Feb-17 21:19:49

Ring for a phone appointment if they can't fit you in still

UnbornMortificado Mon 06-Feb-17 21:20:33

Red with your family history I would maybe ask for an earlier appointment.

No wonder your worried flowers

My mam got breast cancer young and even though she tested negative for the gene that's hereditary, I still find it quite easy to panic over the smallest change.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now