Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Conjunctivitis in adult - how long last?

(9 Posts)
BlueOnMondayNight Tue 31-Jan-17 19:48:29

My conjunctivitis started on Friday night (4 days ago). Didn't respond to over the counter antibiotics.
Dr prescribed some different antibiotics yesterday but eye still not responding. So it's probably viral.
The eye is no better after 4 days. It's very bloodshot, and half closed. And irritating as anything. Also a little painful.
Is it normal for it to feel as aggravated for so long?

BlueOnMondayNight Wed 01-Feb-17 09:15:04

Bump as eye is really terrible still...completely red

underneaththeash Wed 01-Feb-17 17:06:43

Its not normal for conjunctivitis to be painful. Could you have a look in the mirror (you may need to prise your lids open a bit) and see if you can see any white spots on the cornea - so the bit over the coloured bit of the eye.
It may look a little bit like this.

samartheyecare.com/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/corneal-ulcer-300x209.jpg

Also cover over each eye and see if your vision is blurry with your sore eye.

If it is, you may have a corneal infection and you need to go to an A and E department this evening.

Frouby Thu 02-Feb-17 16:36:07

Are you feeling better now OP? I have very similar at the moment. Started feeling sore Sunday teatime. Bought drops otc monday but it was still very sore and vision blurry Tuesday. Went to GP who said continue with drops but go back if no better in a couple of days.

It improved a bit yesterday but is bloody sore again today. Am going back to gp tomorrow if no better.

BlueOnMondayNight Thu 02-Feb-17 16:53:01

Thanks for your responses.

I went back to the doctor yesterday who examined my eye and switched the antibiotics yet again. These seem to be doing the trick! Not better yet, and still loads of gunk, but definitely feels like the start of a recovery.

I think you should definitely see dr tomorrow frouby. No point taking risks with eyes. Hope you feel better soon.

Frouby Thu 02-Feb-17 17:04:44

Thanks Blue, will definitely go back tomorrow if no improvement. I think it is something to do with my eyelids. Seem to be little spots on the inside my eye, which is obviously rubbing on my eyeball. I have examined my eyeball as best I can and can't see anything sinister on those so happy to wait until tomorrow.

I never ever go to the gp so I know they will squeeze me in. Mine isn't gunky like conjunctivitis normally is, its more painful than the uncomfortable conjunctivitis feel. Just don't fancy leaving it as is over the weekend. But it might be better in the morning. Hopefully!

underneaththeash Thu 02-Feb-17 22:25:08

Frouby - don't leave it. Book yourself in with an optometrist tomorrow and they'll have a look and let you know what it is.
With bacterial conjunctivitis you do get papillae which are bumps on the inside of the eyelid.

BlueOnMondayNight Thu 02-Feb-17 22:49:21

The drops that are working for me are called Gentamicin....

Frouby Fri 03-Feb-17 06:59:46

Thanks both.

It feels slightly better this morning. The skin around my eyes is really sore and tender but I think that's because of all the gunk and watering earlier on in the week. But the eyeball itself isn't as red.

If it gets worse again over the weekend I will try and nip in an opticians for them to take a look. The gp did say they had limited equipment to check it properly so would refer me to eye hospital so think I would probably be better in the opticians anyway.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now