Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Trouble swallowing

(3 Posts)
winkywinkola Tue 31-Jan-17 19:27:24

I've just had bloods taken today to start investigating why I'm having trouble swallowing.

I noticed six years ago that when sitting up reading in bed, it was uncomfortable in my throat to bend my head forward. I went to the doctors and then was referred.

They found nodules in my throat. None were cancerous and they're quite common apparently.

Anyway about six weeks ago, I noticed I was having to work to get saliva and food down my throat. It feels like there is something stuck at the bottom of my throat.

I go back to the GP on Friday afternoon for the blood test results. It's a standard test checking for any sign of infection, liver and kidney function and I don't know what else.

I'm so scared I have throat cancer. I'm terrified I'm going to leave my 4 dcs. My mother had thyroid cancer in her 70s and my grandfather had some form of throats cancer in his 70s too.

I smoked a lot from 14-33 and I drank a lot in my youth too. I am frightened it's all caught up with me and that's it. Over. I'm 45.

Am I right to be bricking it like this? Anyone with any knowledge of trouble swallowing?

wfrances Tue 31-Jan-17 22:45:59

i have trouble swallowing due to reflux , it causes esophagitis.
when its really bad i cant swallow solids at all .
do you have a night time / morning cough?

maisybobbins Tue 31-Jan-17 22:51:01

You poor thing OP that's horrid to have to wait until Friday before you get your results. It's natural to panic and assume the worst but I bet there's lots of benign reasons you could be having trouble swallowing. Really hoping all is well and it's something they can sort out for you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now