Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Is this just getting older, or something else?

(11 Posts)
crazydoglady6867 Tue 31-Jan-17 17:30:17

I am soon to be 50 and I have, over the past year felt a bit 'off' here is the long list of my 'symptoms' can anyone tell me if these are just normal aging things:

I have sporadic dizzy spells
I have pains in my joints
I have days where my muscles just seem very weak
I put on weight without eating any more food than I always have
My eyesight has deteriorated very quickly I am on my 5th set of glasses in 2 years
I get a numb feeling in my fingers and toes
I have days when I cannot remember anything and have a fairy dust brain ( today I was driving and realised I had no idea where I was or how I had taken a wrong turn)
I don't want to go to a doctor if these are all just normal symptoms of getting on a bit.

Winterfairy Tue 31-Jan-17 17:35:55

Unfortunately, sounds like the menopause. Go and get it checked out with the doctor though. They can do a test to see what your hormones are doing and you probably need a full blood test to make sure there is nothing else going on. But it's a bitch. Good luck with it xx

AntiQuitty Tue 31-Jan-17 17:39:30

You're only in your 40's! Of course go to the doctor!

Missingthesea Tue 31-Jan-17 17:47:31

OP, I read your post out to my OH, who has Type 2 diabetes.

He suggests you go to your GP in case you have it too. People have often had it for a long time before being diagnosed.

yeOldeTrout Tue 31-Jan-17 19:50:04

I put on weight without eating any more food than I always have
My eyesight has deteriorated very quickly I am on my 5th set of glasses in 2 years
I am same age. These things are completely normal for men & women (not every single person, but most)

I have sporadic dizzy spells
I have pains in my joints
I have days where my muscles just seem very weak
Can be normal... were you fit and active before?

I have days when I cannot remember anything and have a fairy dust brain ( today I was driving and realised I had no idea where I was or how I had taken a wrong turn)
I hear buckets of women say that happens to them, so I think it's common, maybe normal.

I get a numb feeling in my fingers and toes
This one sounds odd, but how numb? I have minor nerve damage from life so it wouldn't strike me as weird if occasional & fairly brief.

Some people swear by HRT as miracle cure for everything; I guess you don't know if you don't try.

ELR Tue 31-Jan-17 20:45:59

Could be under active thyroid or vitamin d deficiency

PacificDogwod Tue 31-Jan-17 20:48:35

Could be peri-menopause, could by thyroid, could be vitamins (or lack thereof), could be nothing - go see your GP.

None of us can tell you here and you'll only find out that it's 'nothing' if everything else is ruled out.

toothgenie Tue 31-Jan-17 20:53:50

Have a look at this page
http://www.b12deficiency.info/

chatnanny Tue 31-Jan-17 21:41:12

I would definitely ask for a thyroid function test. Sounds very familiar.

Sugarpiehoneyeye Tue 31-Jan-17 21:43:39

Sounds like you need a blood test OP, could be an under active thyroid gland. Please go and get yourself checked out.

crazydoglady6867 Tue 31-Jan-17 22:07:14

Thankyou for your advice, I will make an appointment tomorrow.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now