Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Powders not safe for babies?

(9 Posts)
sandraa123 Tue 31-Jan-17 04:30:21

Hi,
There is something that is worrying me. I wanted to know what you all use for your babies after giving them a good bath, or after changing the diapers. Well, I use powders. But, I recently came across this article, . thelawfirm.com/talcum-powder-lawsuit/baby-powder-risks-for-babies.html. It is said that the use of talcum powder can cause ovarian cancer among women. And small amounts of talcum powder can be harmful for the baby’s tiny lungs. Now, could this be true? What do you all think about this? If not powder, then what else can we use for the babies, any other alternatives?

feesh Tue 31-Jan-17 04:36:40

There's absolutely no need for powders or any alternative. I don't even understand why people use them to be honest.

TataEs Tue 31-Jan-17 04:52:23

never used it. don't understand its purpose.

physicsisfun Tue 31-Jan-17 05:08:19

Isn't this pretty common knowledge? I read this as soon as I was pregnant and on here.

No alternative needed, just don't use it. Except for getting sand off at the beach. Or when I run out of dry shampoo. I still have the tub I was given in a johnsons baby box for my now 5yo DD.

BusterGonad Tue 31-Jan-17 05:08:37

I thought this was common knowledge, about powders being harmful, it says on the tub about not breathing in and the cancer scare has been in the news for years now!
I only use talc on holiday in hot countries after a shower or on the beach. I also don't see the need for it in babies.

BusterGonad Tue 31-Jan-17 05:09:23

X post physics! grin

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 31-Jan-17 05:11:21

What is it for? Towel pat dry, nappy, job's a good 'un.

BusterGonad Tue 31-Jan-17 05:13:20

I can only think that it would be helpful if you had a baby with....erm....lots of folds!!!!

AmeliaJack Tue 31-Jan-17 05:34:29

I never used talc or any other powder with my two.

I was expressly told not to by the midwives in hospital.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now