Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uterine ablation

(10 Posts)
Snugglepalace Mon 30-Jan-17 18:52:09

Has anyone any experience of this procedure?

I was due to have this last summer due to very heavy horrible periods. I stupidly chickened out and will now have to go through the whole thing again but am determined to go through with it this time as I have tried all else and the next option is a hysterectomy which I would like to avoid.

Has anyone had this done?

TrionicLettuce Mon 30-Jan-17 19:01:17

I had one in May last year. It was done under GA and the the procedure itself was an absolute breeze. I had some cramping (milder than my usual period pains) immediately when I came round but they'd stopped by the time I was allowed home. I had no after effects for a week, at which point I had some bleeding which very quickly tailed off into (TMI) some light, pinkish tinged discharge. That carried on for three weeks in total then stopped.

Unfortunately I'm one of the unlucky ones for whom it hasn't worked very well. It has had some effect, but I still have a good day or so of very heavy flow, large clots and flooding so I'll be having another one done this year. I'm reasonably hopeful as my mum went through exactly the same, the first one didn't work so well but the second one did the trick.

I'm so glad I had it done. It is frustrating that it didn't work straight away but the statistics are definitely on my side for ablation number two. I've also been offered the option of a hysterectomy should I decide I want to go down that route. Like you though I'd rather avoid it if possible.

Snugglepalace Tue 31-Jan-17 09:53:11

Thanks Trionic, hope the next one works for you.

6demandingchildren Tue 31-Jan-17 10:56:37

I have had this under local, and no pains, they drug you heavily before as well.
The consultant had to ask me to stop making him laugh as he had to concentrate.
It has worked well for me, I occasionally spot but only for a couple of days and it's not even worthy of a panty liner.
Best thing I ever got done.

inlectorecumbit Tue 31-Jan-17 12:45:23

Had this done right at the start --brilliant. I was a bit scared and asked them not to turn up the microwave to full power hmm but bled for 1-2 weeks only. Nothing since grin

Snugglepalace Tue 31-Jan-17 13:27:25

That's great thanks, so wish I hadn't backed out of it last year, really need to go through with it this time can't keep wiping out a week of my life each month confused

MacavityTheDentistsCat Tue 31-Jan-17 13:55:14

I had this done about five years ago (by the method involving electric current). It was one of the best decisions I have ever made. After a couple of weeks' bleeding (a bit unpleasant as the blood smelt burnt) I've had no bleeding whatsoever except a slight smear once or twice a year. I couldn't recommend it highly enough. All the best.

Snugglepalace Tue 31-Jan-17 14:15:50

Macavity that sounds great I can put up with a few weeks of discomfort if that's the outcome.

fuzzyfozzy Tue 31-Jan-17 14:53:16

I had it done under a local. It felt weird but no pain, went home and went to bed. I had a few periods after but then stopped as I was on cerazette.

ArabellaRockerfella Tue 31-Jan-17 16:51:02

I had it done under general anaesthetic at the same time as a ovarian cyst removal. It's hard for me to separate the afterpains/recovery of the 2 procedures but I do know that I have had no bleeding for 1.5yrs and I feel 100% better for it! I've got my energy and my life back. I would really recommend it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now