Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Ds has weird gag reflex - any ideas?

(9 Posts)
deaconblue Mon 26-Feb-07 11:49:28

When ds, 10 months, gags on some food he brings back not just the mouthful he gagged on but the whole contents of his stomach. So one little gag will create tonnes of puke. Dh seems to have a weird thing too whereby he gags to the point of choking when brushing his teeth. Is this just an annoying family quirk or would you see the doctor about it?

izzybiz Mon 26-Feb-07 14:14:59

My Dd was like this, she was sick sooo easily i used to worry that she had some sort of reflux.
She will be 3 in may and still does it occasionally, but has pretty much grown out of it!
She soon learned how to make herself sick at bed time though, so be prepared for that one!

deaconblue Mon 26-Feb-07 14:46:31

Great, I'll look forward to that. Nice to think he might grow out of it. It's so frustrating when he's enjoyed a whole meal, gags on the last mouthful and the whole lot comes back. Never has a problem with milk though

IntergalacticWalrus Mon 26-Feb-07 14:55:41

DS1 used to do this, and still does v occasionally

DP does that weird choking thing when brushing teeth too. I always moan at him about it

Your DS will grow out of it. DS1 stopped doing it by about 13 months

ScottishThistle Mon 26-Feb-07 14:59:32

Gagging's a natural reaction, try not to worry about it!

My Brother & I both gag when brushing our teeth, his girlfriend couldn't believe it when I stayed over one night that I too did the weird gagging thing!

Donbean Mon 26-Feb-07 15:00:57

i cant put the washing out and put pegs in my mouth.....making me gag just thinking about it......

ScottishThistle Mon 26-Feb-07 15:04:36

Ha, I know what you mean about pegs!...I can't hold anything in my mouth for more than 5 seconds without gagging!

TrinityRhino Mon 26-Feb-07 15:07:36

wow, I thought I was weird and the only one.
I can't put anything in my mouth like a peg or even a piece of paper(you know like when your hands are full)without gagging

deaconblue Mon 26-Feb-07 20:54:31

I don't mind the gagging, it's the massive puke that goes with it that stresses me. Good to hear there are other weirdo teeth brushers out there though and that he might grow out of it before long. This afternoon he puked all over the food I'd spent ages making, so ended up having bread sticks and raisins for tea!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now