Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Experience of capsule release/manipulation under anaesthetic for shoulder?

(6 Posts)
Sundayafternoonblues Sun 29-Jan-17 17:57:33

Have posted about my shoulder problems before, but as things have moved on since I last posted, thought it worth starting a new thread. I have been diagnosed as having subacromial impingement and a frozen shoulder. I was referred to a consultant who has recommended capsule release and manipulation under anaesthetic. When I went for the appointment, I had been expecting him to recommend a steroid injection under ultrasound, but the consultant thought that a steroid injection alone would have only a 20% chance of sorting the problem. He did also say that frozen shoulders will resolve on their own eventually, but total average time for this from onset of symptoms is 2-3 years, and that average obviously hides a degree of variation.

I am pretty cautious of medical intervention where not absolutely necessary, so keep wavering over whether to have the operation. I have started seeing a new physio, as if I'm going to go for the operation I need to be clear in my own mind that I have exhausted other recognised treatment options. At present, I am inclining towards the view that physio alone is not going to successfully treat my condition.

Would be grateful to hear of anyone else's experience of capsule release and/ or manipulation under anaesthetic. Did your operation result in (a) complete recovery; (b) not complete recovery, but enough of an improvement that you were glad you had the procedure; (c) no difference; or (d) made things worse (by which I mean long-term worse, I appreciate there would be pain immediately post-op).

How long did you need to take off work? (Counting in terms of the time you needed to be functioning normally on full-time hours.) Appreciate this will vary according to type of job. I work in an office, so no heavy lifting, but lots of typing and use of the mouse.

How long was it after the operation before you could drive?

How much pain did you experience from the operation? I know pain is a subjective thing, but how long were you in pain that prevented you from getting a decent night's sleep (even with painkillers), or significantly affected your everyday life?

How long until you were 100% recovered from the operation (or did you feel you didn't get to the point of being 100% recovered?)

Sorry for such a long post, but I wanted to get all my questions down in one go! Unless my condition deteriorates rapidly, I have no plans to rush into surgery, so even if you're reading this three or four weeks after the original post, I would still appreciate replies.

TIA

toughasnails Wed 01-Feb-17 19:18:47

Hi
I had a manipulation under anaesthetic for a frozen shoulder.It went wrong.The surgeon dislocated my shoulder which went undiagnosed for hours.I have permanent nerve damage in my arm after same.I had a dense weakness for about a year.My shoulder functions well but my arm is affected from my elbow down.
I have a poor grip and had to change my role at work.
Unfortunately I developed a frozen shoulder on the other side.I went to a different surgeon who recommended injections under xray.I had 2, 6 months apart and recovered completely.
The second surgeon advised me that if the injections did not work she would not manipulate but open my shoulder with a scope and release it that way.
Pm me if you need any more info

Sundayafternoonblues Fri 03-Feb-17 10:42:04

Thank you very much for the reply. I shall PM you.

Sundayafternoonblues Wed 08-Feb-17 18:59:22

Just wondering whether there is anyone else out there who has undergone one or both of these procedures?

Haribogirl Wed 08-Feb-17 20:16:03

I had an hydrodilatation for frozen should that was excellent never felt any pain apart from it feeling it was being pumped up inside no problem
Never came back

My sister had her done last week and she was screaming with pain whilst they were doing it, so think she had capsule release!

I went to see prof Funk at shoulder doc manchester

Sundayafternoonblues Fri 10-Feb-17 18:16:59

Thanks Haribogirl. I had not heard of hydrodilatation before, but have just been reading about it on the Shoulder Doc website!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now