Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Night time back pain

(10 Posts)
Badhairday1001 Sun 29-Jan-17 12:57:50

Does anybody suffer with back pain at night and have any ideas about how to ease it? I have been waking up after about 4 hours of sleep with really bad back pain around the middle of my back and in to my rib cage. It is really, really painful. Nothing eases it other than getting up and moving around and taking painkillers. It is stiff and painful when first moving but this eased after about an hour. I haven't hurt it and it's ok during the day. This has happened in the past but only on a weekend when I've slept longer than usual. I'm so tired at the moment because I'm only getting four hours sleep. Any ideas?

trinity0097 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:09:28

How do you sleep?

Badhairday1001 Sun 29-Jan-17 14:19:43

I usually fall asleep on my right side, not sure if I stay like this though. I sleep on my belly sometimes too. I bought a memory foam mattress topper in case it was the bed but it's not helped.

MollyHuaCha Sun 29-Jan-17 16:11:16

Sounds nasty, poor you. If you get back pain in bed, maybe need a firmer mattress?

JammyGeorge Sun 29-Jan-17 22:59:28

I've suffered with night time back pain since I had ds1 so nearly 7 years!

I fall asleep and wake in the night with pain right round my back and into my front just around my bra strap area.

Doctors won't give me a X-ray or scan, they refer to it as 'wear & tear' and send me to the physio.

Generally the physio uncracks my back where it is stiff and then after a while the pain stops. I can have several months where it's good then it starts up again!

I've had my back treated by physio's & osteopaths 4 times and every time it's been effective, it does get better. When it first started is the worst it's been for me.

Wildernesstips Mon 30-Jan-17 20:22:54

I have exactly this problem - have had it for around 2 years. I always find it is worse when I am less active, and it generally disappears after about an hour of waking.

My X-ray didn't show anything and osteo sessions didn't improve things greatly. I have just started physio though. Apart from some muscular, all that seems to fit the bill on Dr Google is ankylosing spondylitis.

Do you find the pain radiates into your ribs on whatever side you wake?

domesticslattern Mon 30-Jan-17 20:27:10

Two quick but v simple things to rule out the obvious:

How old is your mattress?
How much exercise do you do eg swimming, yoga, running etc?

Badhairday1001 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:45:25

Thank you for the replies, relieved it's not just me! Jammy I was considering an osteopath, I've used them before for my neck and it really helped. Wilderness I find the less active I am the worse it is too. I had a virus last week and felt awful so was getting home from work and just lounging around feeling sorry for myself and my back was terrible then and woke me up after 3 hours sleep each night. That's the worse it's ever been. Mine also loosens up after about an hour but still feels stiff. Yes the pain goes in to my ribs too.

Do you have periods of no pain and then it flares up? Mine does and that's why I think it's probably not the mattress because I have months of no pain.

Badhairday1001 Mon 30-Jan-17 21:51:12

Domestic my mattress is about 5 years old, I've put a memory foam mattress topper on too but it's not really helped.
I don't do enough exercise and am a stone over weight. I do hot yoga twice a week and trampoline fit once, I also walk my dogs on a weekend for about an hour. I did wonder if the extra weight is squashing my back, that's what it feels like! I'm trying to lose weight, but have not taken it very seriously until now.

Wildernesstips Tue 31-Jan-17 20:43:40

I don't think it's the mattress. I have had mine 7 years, but back pain for only 2, also have slept in other beds on holiday etc but with no improvement.

I have only had no pain a handful of times over the last two years.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now