Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Ds2 - watery eye since birth

(15 Posts)
tortoiseSHELL Sun 25-Feb-07 23:07:24

Ds2 has one very watery eye - any ideas what it might be? I'm going to talk to the GP about it - it's one of those things that I've only really just realised that he's nearly 10 months and it's been fairly constantly weepy - it always appears to have a tear in it, and often a tear will roll down his cheek, even without him crying. Doesn't seem to be irritated generally, although this evening it did seem a little red. He's not bothered!

Thanks in advance!

ComeOVeneer Sun 25-Feb-07 23:19:55

Possible a problem with the tear duct getting blocked and not draining properly. Preety common in babies. I was advised to (daily) apply gentle pressure with a finger on the side of the nose towards the affected eye, massaging towards the eye. As ds got older it sorted itself out.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 25-Feb-07 23:24:07

I wondered about that - what were your ds' symptoms? Did you just do that or did he need drops or anything?

ComeOVeneer Sun 25-Feb-07 23:30:36

Just a very watery eye really, although when he had a nasty viral/cold infection he did end up with a bout of conguntivitis. TBH when this happened he was given a course of antibiotic eye drops and after that it was much better (but still there) and about 6 months later it just went away.

Linnet Sun 25-Feb-07 23:32:44

My nephew had a watery eye from when he was born. He had antibiotic eye drops which didn't do any good then more eye drops which again didn't seem to do anything about shifting it then all of a sudden when he was about 10/11 months old it just went and hasn't bothered him since.

tortoiseSHELL Sun 25-Feb-07 23:33:30

That sounds just like ds2. It's only the last few days I've realised it's been watery like this for ages!

LaDiDaDi Sun 25-Feb-07 23:35:35

I bet your ds's tear duct hasn't properly canalised so that the tears can't drain away. It's not usually a problem as it should sort itself out by the time he's one.

pinkbubble Sun 25-Feb-07 23:58:38

I looked after a child who always had a tear on her cheek, she had a very simple op, where she had her tearducts flushed and that solved the prob- good luck

tortoiseSHELL Mon 26-Feb-07 00:01:40

Thanks, that sounds so like ds2! I did wonder what they did if it didn't sort out, so that's good to know! Thanks!

tortoiseSHELL Mon 26-Feb-07 08:52:13

Just bumping this for anyone today - think I know what it is now, but just wondered if any other suggestions! Thanks.

tortoiseSHELL Mon 26-Feb-07 09:27:44

tortoiseSHELL Mon 26-Feb-07 11:41:07

one last bump!

tortoiseSHELL Tue 27-Feb-07 14:12:04

I took ds2 to the GP this morning, and it is a blocked tear duct, so she has referred him on to the Eye Hospital - she said they tend not to do much, but they might operate if it doesn't sort itself out. Fingers crossed it will be fine!

Piffle Tue 27-Feb-07 14:15:12

tortoise, there are methods of massaging the duct to try and unblock it as well, the eye clinic will show you

If they do operate it "should" be before the child is 18 mths.
DD has had a very watery eye since birth which improved a little from time to time, but gets relaly bad when she is poorly.
She is now 4 and between 18 mths and 2 yrs the nasal bones harden, so surgery is more complex and less successful apparently.
Dd would now need a "drilling" so it's nicely called to clear her blockage.
We're still out on that one
It's a lot of wiping but it's not really a big deal in the whole scheme of things.

tortoiseSHELL Tue 27-Feb-07 14:29:05

That's interesting piffle, I did wonder why they like to do it earlier. Hopefully he won't need it anyway.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: