Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Any A&E nurses around?

(7 Posts)
RapunzelsSplitEnds Sat 28-Jan-17 19:44:41

I'm pretty sure I broke my toe. Third toe from big toe. It happened a few hours ago and my family are all away with the car and I also live quite far from an A&E. (Plus it is such a busy time for A&E staff on a Saturday night)
Am I correct in thinking that the health professionals would pretty much just leave the toe, no strapping or anything?
It hurts but I've taken two paracetamol and codeine so they ought to kick in shortly.
Can you advise anything else I can do? It has turned black and blue but not hanging off or anything, just a bit mashed looking.

katiegg Sat 28-Jan-17 19:51:11

Unfortunately, they'll not do much for a broken toe. To be honest, you might find yourself hard pressed to get an x-ray to confirm its broken. The only broken toes I've ever diagnosed have been were there is another injury in the same foot and the broken toe has shown up on X-ray. Keep up with the pain killers, and try ice if it's very swollen.

RapunzelsSplitEnds Sat 28-Jan-17 20:03:45

Thank you Katiegg.

I mashed the two middle toes last year (dropped a breeze block on them) and whilst they were indeed broken, (no X- ray) I was advised just to leave them alone.
I'll try an ice pack as well.

katiegg Sat 28-Jan-17 20:15:12

no worries, hope the pain eases soon. And your poor toes having a breeze block dropped on them!

RapunzelsSplitEnds Sat 28-Jan-17 20:55:56

Ooh, the breeze block! That was a sickener when it happened!

Family are now back and the children are morbidly fascinated by the mashed toe. I'm resting the foot as I know someone will stand on it by accident.

Olympiathequeen Sun 29-Jan-17 18:44:49

No we don't even X-ray unless there a possibility they are dislocated (they look very weird then).

Cool pack, elevate and painkillers. Just use some tape to strap to the next biggest toe making sure it's not too tight (in which case remove or loosen)

RapunzelsSplitEnds Mon 30-Jan-17 14:22:50

Thanks Olympia.

Swelling has reduced and even the bruising looks less alarming now.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now