Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can stress give you physical pain?

(4 Posts)
cookieswirls Sat 28-Jan-17 18:47:04

Recently I've had a lot of stress and noticed with that I've had stomach pains and also by body has ached all over. I'm not sure weather the two are related or not. I'm concerned as I think my stress levels have reached an all time high and it's finally having an affect on my health

ScarlettDarling Sat 28-Jan-17 19:47:12

Hi cookie sorry you're feeling so stressed. Yes, stress and anxiety most definitely cause aches and pains. Just google 'symptoms of stress and anxiety' and you'll see how common it is.

One of the reasons is that when you're stressed you subconsciously tense your muscles up...you know that shoulders up around your ears feeling?! These tense muscles can really ache after a while.

Stomach pains are extremely common with stress too. Being stress puts a huge strain on your digestive system and can lead to diarrhoea, tummy aches, winds etc. Also it can cause over production of stomach acid which leads to indigestion and heartburn pain.

So, try not to worry about the aches as they're a symptom of the stress, but try to tackle the stress in order to help reduce them.

cookieswirls Sat 28-Jan-17 21:19:54

Thanks Scarlett that's taught me a lot. I will google and read more about it

Haggisfish Sat 28-Jan-17 21:22:40

Yes, definitely. Try taking ranitidine, which is a low level antacid and try to be mindful about once an hour-which muscles are tense? Consciously relax them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now