Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

A bit freaked out by quick referral!

(14 Posts)
HHH3 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:23:31

I went to the Drs on Wednesday because I've been sweating excessively at night. Not every night - it happens for the last 1-2 weeks of my cycle every month. I wake up in the night literally soaked in sweat.

After asking me some questions she didn't think it's hormonal but has arranged some blood tests. She then want to feel my abdomen which I was fine with (although a little surprised as I hadn't been expecting it). Had a quick feel and said she could feel a lump and said it was either a collection of fat (can't remember what she called it) or possibly a hernia) and asked me if I'd had any problems with my stomach muscles in my last pregnancy which I hadn't.

I was surprised as I had no idea it was even there! She said she'd refer me for an ultrasound. No suggestion that it was related to the sweating btw. And I assumed it'd be a while for the scan and thought if they do find something nothing would need doing as it's not causing any problems.

But today I've received a letter for the scan already and it's 2 weeks to the day that I saw the GP. Now I'm freaked out that she's referred me on the 2 week referral thingconfused because referrals just aren't that quick around here!

Gardencentregroupie Sat 28-Jan-17 18:25:08

Try not to freak out, maybe a cancellation came up or something flowers

Titsywoo Sat 28-Jan-17 18:28:59

I assume because you have two possible cancer symptoms you need to be seen in 2 weeks. I had to be seen in 2 weeks for breast lumps that were nothing to worry about. Don't freak out, chances are good that it is something benign but it's a good thing you are being seen quickly!

languagelearner Sat 28-Jan-17 18:30:18

If it's good/benign, you've got nothing to lose, and if it's not you obviously want a quick referral. The diagnosis hasn't been set yet, that's why you're going there. Garden is right, it could be just a cancellation, someone called in sick and cancelled their appointment right when your referral landed on the nurse's desk.

brokenheartdog Sat 28-Jan-17 18:31:05

I am in the same position, went to the doctors last week, had tests and an x ray the same week, results sent back to the doctor the same day as a identified a couple of issues instead of the normal wait and an ultra sound which has been sent through for two weeks time.

The tests have already identified a heart condition and blood condition and the x ray showed up something dodgy on the lining of my bladder.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 28-Jan-17 18:33:33

any lumps will be seen under the two week criteria. its standard. better than waiting.

TheoriginalLEM Sat 28-Jan-17 18:35:41

I was seen within 4 days for breast lumps that my dr wanted to watch and wait as she was sure it was benign but i adked for referral as i have anxiety. I proper freaked but it was as my gp suspected, a cyst.

HHH3 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:45:17

Thanks all. Until I got the letter it honestly hadn't even crossed my mind that it might be a small lump/possible hernia. But the chances are that that's exactly what it is, isn't it?

Will go back to trying not to think about it for now then - at least it isn't long to wait. Although I'm going to have to ring and rearrange the appt anyway as I can't make the time they've sent me.

HHH3 Sat 28-Jan-17 18:45:41

*might be anything but

Andbabymakesthree Sat 28-Jan-17 18:48:27

Similar thing here. Night sweats.
Examined chest and back. Sent did chest x-ray. Within 10 days and no foreign travel!

Olympiathequeen Sun 29-Jan-17 18:51:23

Your gp is following guidelines and doing the quick referral because the possibility of cancer is there with an unidentified lump. Obviously it doesn't mean it is and it most likely isn't, but she's doing the right thing however scary it is for you.

HHH3 Sun 29-Jan-17 19:11:09

Yeah I know. And I'm trying to remember that the chances of it being anything scary are tiny. I just wish she'd explained what she was doing and why. Would've been a lot less scary than finding out like I did.

Olympiathequeen Sun 29-Jan-17 20:37:04

Would have been nice if she'd said, it's very unlikely but we have to follow procedures and it's just to rule a problem out. Would have reassured you a little. Fwiw. It is almost certainly nothing but, yes it's scary. I had a breast lump which was just a fatty lump so I know the terror!

HHH3 Sun 29-Jan-17 21:26:39

Chances of it being anything nasty are slim - I know. Good news is I've managed to arrange a babysitter for the appt so I won't need to rearrange it and wait even longer.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now