Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone know how I can stop grinding my teeth in my sleep?

(15 Posts)
HollySykes Sat 28-Jan-17 10:41:46

I don't know I'm doing it, but my dentist has mentioned it. I recently had a crown fitted and I'm sure it's damaging the teeth above due to grinding. Is there a way to stop or prevent damage?

Haggisfish Sat 28-Jan-17 10:43:16

You can get a dental guard to wear-think you get them from your dentist.

HollySykes Sat 28-Jan-17 11:28:16

My dentist mentioned that but said they can cause problems, I was just wondering if there was some other way anyone might know of.

SusannahD Sat 28-Jan-17 11:33:14

You need a mouth guard, you will damage your teeth. I have had mouth guards for years without any problems.

MercyMyJewels Sat 28-Jan-17 11:33:46

Soft gum shield = see your dentist. I think this is the only solution

HandbagHelper Sat 28-Jan-17 11:37:19

I grind my teeth in my sleep -have worn a mouth guard at night for more than 15 years with no issues. Get them from dentist.

Rainbowshine Sat 28-Jan-17 11:47:04

The dentist can make a bespoke mouth guard that is custom fitted to your teeth. These are ok, if you use a general sport one it can cause problems. The condition is called Braxia, it can be a sign of stress.

originalmavis Sat 28-Jan-17 11:49:03

Apparently your brain rather likes it! You need a guard from your dentist - I think they are £££ but I'm not sure if a sports one will do at all.

gamerchick Sat 28-Jan-17 11:50:22

I have a guard from the dentist. Was about 100 odd quid.

ToastOfLondon Sat 28-Jan-17 11:50:45

Boots sell mouth guards for about £30 that you put in the microwave then moulds to your teeth.

I've just got my adult DS one. His dentist was going to charge £150 for one so we thought we would try the Cheaper option first. He has been using it for a few weeks and thinks it's ok. He thinks he gives himself headaches from teeth grinding and is also worried about damaging his teeth.

Does anyone know if they are any good?

ToastOfLondon Sat 28-Jan-17 11:52:02

BTW the one we got from boots said it was for teeth grinding

HollySykes Mon 30-Jan-17 08:41:04

Brilliant, I've ordered a mouth guard from Amazon, fingers crossed.

slightlyembassing Mon 30-Jan-17 13:09:18

Tooth grinding put me in the hospital with cluster migraines!

Had no idea I was doing it!

Make sure your sleeping conditions are good op - neck well supported, shoulders not tense, room warm enough. Relax and try to destress before bedtime.

Also my dentist showed me how to massage the muscle just outside the jaw, it gets really tense and can make things worse. You put your thumb inside and finger outside your cheek, just before the jaw bone and make pinching circular motions on the muscles until you feel it relaxing.

Catcrazy008 Mon 30-Jan-17 13:14:50

There is an exercise my dentist showed me.

Open your mouth as wide as you can and lift tongue to roof of mouth, put tongue as far back as you can towards back of mouth. You will feel a stretch in jaw. Helps to loosen tension in jaw, and helps prevent teeth grinding

Minstrelsareyum Mon 30-Jan-17 13:22:13

The mouthguards and tongue on roof of mouth exercise mentioned by a PP will help protect your teeth (the exercise will stretch your jaw) but I don't think it will stop you grinding; it won't treat the cause. The grinding is usually stress related. You may not feel stressed though! I have been doing this for years and It is worse when I am tense in any way. I am more of a clencher rather than grinder these days.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now