Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Do I need to see dr for conjunctivitis?

(8 Posts)
BlueOnMondayNight Sat 28-Jan-17 09:04:08

Am 95% certain its conjunctivitis...bloodshot eye, a bit gunky, slight stinging, slightly closed.
Started last night.
Is it recommended that I see a dr?
Could go to private dr this am but am alone with toddler and so much to do. Could do without going to dr....

Sickofthisnow Sat 28-Jan-17 09:11:37

No the pharmacist can give you what you need. I've been in the same situation as you before and pharmacist gave me antibiotic eye drops which sorted it or quickly. It was Boots if that helps.

Flowerpower321 Sat 28-Jan-17 09:12:18

Pharmacist will be fine, no need for GP.

SprogletsMum Sat 28-Jan-17 09:13:28

I think the advice now is that it's self limiting and will go away on its own.

Coldhandscoldheart Sat 28-Jan-17 09:13:47

Pharmacist. Good hand hygiene so as not to pass it to the wee one.
Also, when we took our baby to doctor with conjunctivitis, she said the evidence showed that drops only decreased infection time by one day.
I'm assuming it makes things a bit more comfortable though,

TeaBelle Sat 28-Jan-17 09:14:23

We took dd recently and got told we were wasting time (having called 111 who insisted we take her!)

2ndSopranos Sat 28-Jan-17 11:11:03

Good hygiene and cleaning with cooled boiled water for a few days. Should clear up doing that but if not, then yes, you might need something else.

I had an absolutely horrendous bout of conjunctivitis a few years ago. After three days of the cooled boiled water regime my entire face hurt and I became photophobic. Visited the walk in who referred me almost immediately to the ooh GP. It was that or the eye hospital as they suspected orbital cellulitis.

Drops cleared it up after a week but I had dry patches all over my corneas for a year. I'm normally a contact lense wearer but had to stick to glasses for months after that.

In most cases it does self-limit but sometimes help is needed!

BlueOnMondayNight Sat 28-Jan-17 13:24:00

Thanks all.

Went to pharmacist. And saved £100 on GP smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now