Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Uterine polyps removal - questions

(11 Posts)
trulydelicious Fri 27-Jan-17 17:47:18

Hello everyone! I was looking for advice as I may have to have a hysteroscopy to remove two uterine polyps.

I have the option of doing it privately at the Lister Hospital in Chelsea or the Portland Hospital in London. Does anyone have any experiences in these places? Or would it be better to do it through the NHS?

Also, was the procedure painful? Has anyone had local anesthetic and what did it consist of (as I understand that this operation is not normally done under general anesthetic)?

Looking forward to your replies!

Missingthesea Fri 27-Jan-17 18:04:55

I've had it done twice, both times under the NHS, both times under general anaesthetic. I was asked last time if I'd be willing to have it done under local anaesthetic, but said no thank you!

There was slight period-type pain afterwards, but it only needed paracetamol. Slight bleeding like a light period for a few days.
HTH.

Missingthesea Fri 27-Jan-17 18:09:52

Oops, sorry, I've actually had it done three times now I come to think of it! The other time it was done with a spinal anaesthetic and sedation. It was fine except that you have to wait a few hours for the numbness to wear off, and you can't go home until you've pee'd. i had it done at about 4 p.m. and wasn't ready to be discharged until about 10.30.

Squigglypig Fri 27-Jan-17 18:14:46

Following as I'm booked in for this on Friday. Having general anesthesic. Doing it at London Bridge as covered by medical insurance through work.

trulydelicious Fri 27-Jan-17 18:55:04

Thanks for your responses, useful things to consider.

Good luck Squigglypig for Friday!

Wackelle Sat 28-Jan-17 07:06:33

Wrote a thread about having a hysteroscopy the other day.

I had mine no pain relief, no nothing. My polyp had dissapeared so just had a biopsy taken (piss take). Wasn't painful you really don't need a GA. I was in and skipping out in half an hour. I've not had kids either.

Wackelle Sat 28-Jan-17 07:07:55

Honestly op i read horror stories, you will be absolutely fine. Why i wrote my thread (that nobody read sad)

Squigglypig Sat 28-Jan-17 08:25:49

Thanks Truly, I've been up all night with cramps so I'm hoping that the hysteroscopy will do the trick. I was surprised they said general, I thought it would be local. I was a bit talkative with the Consultant so maybe she suggested GA to shut me up. Thanks for the info Wackelle and glad your opinion went smoothly.

Wackelle Sat 28-Jan-17 08:36:52

I was terrified before hand, i guess it all depends on how big or how many polyps you have, mine was only quite small poss. I think it also depends which trust is doing it.

Mine is obviously a no anaesthetic at all area! But honestly it wasn't as bad as I was expecting. Good luck ladies flowers

tobee Sat 28-Jan-17 11:14:52

I read your thread Wackelle. 😀 Depends what they're doing, what trust, what surgeon I suppose. Glad that yours was fine.

trulydelicious Sat 28-Jan-17 23:19:08

Lol Squigglypig, giving you GA to shut you up! grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now