Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone medical here who can answer this? (re withdrawn medicine)

(4 Posts)
3luckystars Fri 27-Jan-17 10:17:50

I am in Ireland so things may be different here but I am hoping someone here can advise me.

If a medicine is "WITHDRAWN" what does that mean exactly? Does it mean it shouldn't be used anymore?

If it was withdrawn years ago, should it still be being used? Any advice or info very much appreciated!

Mrsmorton Fri 27-Jan-17 17:12:53

If it was withdrawn years ago it's likely out of date anyway?

sadie9 Fri 27-Jan-17 17:38:11

I'm not medical but I think a drug would be withdrawn for safety reasons, or withdrawn from a certain category of use. If you ring any chemist shop and ask to speak to the Pharmacist, tell them the name of the medicine, and they will tell you straight away.
Or look at the Irish Medicines page here www.hpra.ie/homepage/medicine, but if it were me and you or someone you know is using a drug you think is withdrawn I would check with a pharmacist or a GP.

lolalament Fri 27-Jan-17 17:51:30

Medicines can be withdrawn because they're now found to have side effects of not be safe, but they can also be withdrawn just because the company doesn't feel like making it any more (if sales are low, or another medicine is better, or high proportion costs etc). So it depends on the medicine as to whether it's fine to use or not. Medications should never be used after their use by date.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now