Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Boosting immune system?

(18 Posts)
TheMouseInMyPocket Thu 26-Jan-17 22:38:41

As per title - are there any scientifically proven ways to improve immunity? I feel like mine has taken a plunge in the last year or so - I'm much more prone to colds and they seem to last longer, I'm getting more cold sores than I used to, and I've just come down with a second sickness bug since November. I'm fed up! How can I help myself?

Carsearching Thu 26-Jan-17 22:52:53

Watching with interest...have been hearing good things about high doses of vitamin d...anyone care to enlighten as to whether this is correct?!

LazyDoll Fri 27-Jan-17 10:58:06

I was just about to post similar. I'm heading to Boots after a month of sinusitis and heavy colds and wanted to know if anyone had any tried and tested immune system booster!!?

theconstantinoplegardener Fri 27-Jan-17 11:10:30

I was finding that I seemed to catch every cold going. I've been eating an orange a day for the past 18 months or so, and I take cod liver oil too (the orange hides the taste of the oil!), which contains Vitamin D and is supposed to be good for pretty much your whole body. I don't know if there is any conclusive scientific evidence for this, but I haven't been ill much over the last two winters.

sleepwhenidie Fri 27-Jan-17 11:23:49

Vitamin D supplement is recommended for everyone, will only do good.

But a good probiotic supplement should boost your immune system - also eat lots of foods that do the same thing...probiotic yoghurt, fermented food such as sauerkraut, miso paste (use to make soup or it tastes great mixed with some honey and soy sauce as a marinade for fish or meat). Lots of garlic, dark leafy greens, mushrooms are also good for your gut and of course vitamin C from citrus would be good too.

INeedNewShoes Fri 27-Jan-17 11:28:53

Probiotics for gut-related things. I just eat lots of good quality organic live yogurt rather than taking supplements.

More generally an active lifestyle makes a huge difference to me.

sleepwhenidie Fri 27-Jan-17 12:19:43

I agree on being active, I am very much so, but after antibiotics for a tooth abscess last September my immune system has been rubbish and it's very difficult to eat enough sauerkraut and yoghurt (!) to replace the good bacteria when it's been wiped out so a supplement is the obvious answer.

TheMouseInMyPocket Fri 27-Jan-17 15:27:22

I've had a look at this report www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.nhs.uk/news/2011/05may/documents/BtH_supplements.pdf&ved=0ahUKEwiZ7LyazeLRAhUGCMAKHQOyBSMQFgg_MAA&usg=AFQjCNEhbAFCnXPWED32FOL-kV--loloZA&sig2=oZ0BTpitJbZPqGVjGINktw (I'm giving this way too much thought!). I think maybe getting a zinc supplement and having a good hard look ar my diet and activity level would be a good place to start...

LazyDoll Fri 27-Jan-17 16:33:27

I run 14-21km a week and go to Pilates...but struggle to do this when I'm ill and think I've tried to get back to running/ exercising too soon and made myself worse sad
I've just got some Well Woman Max multi vits today (half price AND 3 for 2 in Boots) and I'm researching kale, tumeric/garlic soups!!!! Fingers crossed at at least it makes me feel better psychologically!!!

Flicketyflack Fri 27-Jan-17 16:39:51

Good diet, plenty of sleep, good hydration & outdoor time/exercise.

Anatidae Fri 27-Jan-17 19:26:25

Firstly : Have a physical checkup. Get the actual printout of the results, because just being told 'normal' isn't ok for some of these values (esp vit D and thyroid.)
Blood pressure, blood sugar, Hba1c, full thyroid panel (not just TSH) vit b12, ferritin. Full blood count, urine dip.
Check the actual results - many of us are deficient in vitamin D, if so take a vitamin D3 (not D2!) supplement. If yours is very low your GP will need to prescribe a much higher doseage.
If your TSH is over 2.7 ish request further follow up. If your ferritin is at the low end take a liquid iron supplement (don't take iron supplements unless you know you are low, excess isn't at all good for you.) megadose vitamins are best avoided unless prescribed - they can do more harm than good.

Check lifestyle- are you getting enough quality sleep? Go to bed an hour earlier. No screens an hour before bed. Use the night shift option (iPhone) or f.lux on android past tea time. Get up and get outside in the morning.

Excercise but don't overdo it if you feel run down. Brisk walks, aim for something that makes you feel invigorated rather than over-pushed.

Eat more veg and don't overdo the fruit (too sugary.) check diet - honestly how much sugar are you eating? No need to do any extreme faddy stuff, just cut down on sugar and processed foods and add in more veg. A good basic multivitamin isn't going to hurt, or a berocca or something. Probiotics are good too - yoghurts etc. Gut health is important

I'm shattered and run down after a difficult pregnancy, hyperemesis, and a non sleeping baby (now a toddler!) has left me completely depleted. I've had endless bugs this year so I'll be following my own advice!

MusicIsMedicine Thu 02-Feb-17 01:58:38

anatidae same with the hyperemesis. Recovery isn't happening which is worrying.

BertieBotts Thu 02-Feb-17 02:08:59

Echinacea supplement always worked for me. And general fitness helps too.

You can't take echinacea when pregnant or breastfeeding though.

BertieBotts Thu 02-Feb-17 02:09:37

And nothing will help when you're actually ill. You need to do all this stuff in advance.

esk1mo Thu 02-Feb-17 02:09:39

vitamin d3 at 2500 iu has made a huge difference to my immune system. i used to get frequent cold sores and i haven't had one for years since taking d3. i still get ill, but not nearly as much as i used to. i also used to get tonsillitis at least once a year, sometimes up to three times and that has vanished too.

other than that I also take liquid B vitamins and iron (both by Solgar), multivitamins (by Viridian), Omega 3 fish oil (by Higher Nature) and evening primrose oil (just from boots).

Also this oil www.biona.co.uk/product-557-4.html is a great source of omegas. A little pricey but one bottle lasts months.

JC23 Thu 02-Feb-17 02:21:24

Probiotics might help. My husband seems to have reduced the number of colds he catches since he's been taking probiotics. Previously he'd tried echinacea, vitamins, propolis, zinc etc etc etc.

Grindelwaldswand Thu 02-Feb-17 03:25:57

I take Optibac probiotics and they work wonders OP you can buy them in chemists or Amazon

DustyMaiden Thu 02-Feb-17 04:11:45

B12.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now