Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sex as a cure for period cramps

(11 Posts)
Bmack25 Thu 26-Jan-17 11:37:02

know it sounds all kinds of wrong but this was actually something a nurse friend recommended. I admit I had to get over the icky factor but it totally works. My OH hates how much pain my periods cause me so he didn't mind trying this. I finally managed a full nights sleep during the first 2 days of my period. ( it helped with period horniness too) 😳 just thought I'd share incase it helps anyone else

PollyPerky Thu 26-Jan-17 11:37:59

Yoga is supposed to help and is a lot less messy.

MrsArthurShappey Thu 26-Jan-17 11:44:23

I'll sometimes have a...erm....'dry wank' or DH and I will sort of dry hump when my period pains are bad. It's the total relaxation after orgasm that does it. And if it gets me straight to sleep too, even better.

loveyoutothemoon Thu 26-Jan-17 11:44:32

Orgasms are an amazing pain relief!

rightsofwomen Thu 26-Jan-17 12:03:24

I've had period sex. Was fine. Do it on a towel and both have a shower afterwards. Really helps with the pains (though I didn't do it just to relieve pain) and no problem with lubrication.

I can see why people aren't keen, but as long as both parties are happy then go for it.

PaintingOwls Thu 26-Jan-17 12:08:26

If anything I find the pain worse after an orgasm.

Things that help me:
Hot water bottle, alternating between my stomach and back
A lower back massage from DP
Paracetamol

Tipsyscat Thu 26-Jan-17 14:15:43

My ex husband is a gynae Having your uterus massaged during a period mmmm totally works. He use to say he would get struck off if he suggested it to patients. grin

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 26-Jan-17 14:31:21

Bmack,

It may help for a while but you really ought to find out what the root cause of the pain is in the first instance.

Endometriosis is a common cause of ongoing and severe period pain leading up to and including menses. It can also cause deep pain during sex.

If your periods are that painful I would ask your GP for a referral to a gynae; you should not have to put up with such painful periods.

Tipsyscat Thu 26-Jan-17 14:41:19

Not always can just be primary dysmenorrhoea as it is in my case.

Bmack25 Thu 26-Jan-17 14:59:37

The pain is only for the first 2 days and it's normal pain I've been checked. They've been like that for me since I was 13. Contraceptives make no difference and at times made it worse. Am not allowed hot water bottles or ibuprofen due to a stomach condition but whilst chatting with a nurse friend I mentioned that pressure pushing down on my belly helped as did rocking back and forth. She said sex and I discovered that for me it works better than any pain relief and allows me to sleep through the night. Each to their own though. I just thought I'd share x

AttilaTheMeerkat Thu 26-Jan-17 16:29:29

Long term cyclical pain like that should be investigated further because of the possibility of there being endometriosis. The usual way this is diagnosed is through a keyhole surgery op called a laparoscopy. Glad you find that sex helps with this but if it gets to the point where it does not, please get further help. You should not anyway have to put up with very painful periods.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now