Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Good shoes to wear with insoles/orthotics?

(8 Posts)
mumznet Thu 26-Jan-17 11:36:01

Okay everyone I'm looking for smart/casual shoes but not having much success. The problem is I have orthotics to wear because of flat feet. My feet are standard width (so not wide) but I can't find a good shoe.

I have one laces smart shoe from ecco but when I put the insoles in they become very tight. should I get a size bigger?

or can anyone recommend where I can get good shoes? podiatrist has recommended to buy shoes with a firm heel counter and I noticed these are hard to find.....
I don't want boots just black shoes for work.

thanks

mumznet Thu 26-Jan-17 12:11:29

for example I got these from ecco:

www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-babett/p3236
okay shoes...
but my heel is lifting up so not sure if it is a good fit and the heel counter is not firm

the other pair is this one which are good but tight with insoles....without insoles they are fine....so should I go a size up?
www.eccoshoesuk.com/ecco-touch-flatform/p5818

trinity0097 Thu 26-Jan-17 12:43:59

Do you live anywhere near Wells in Somerset? There is a fab shoe shop there that might be able to help, proper personal service.

OldBooks Thu 26-Jan-17 12:56:11

I have the same problem. Hotter are the best brand I have found. Their insoles are removable so there is room for the orthotic insert.

TranquilityofSolitude Thu 26-Jan-17 12:58:25

I wear insoles inside Doc Martens. They fit well. I have had the problem you describe with your heel being too high in the shoe with others, though.

AuntieStella Thu 26-Jan-17 12:59:49

DD's podiatrist recommends Ecco and Geox as brands which have many styles which are orthotics-friendly. But you do have to try them on as the cut of some just doesn't work - as I found out the hard way when trying to get school brogues.

AuntiePenguin Thu 26-Jan-17 13:14:10

Hotter shoes are really good for this. Don't buy your normal size though, their sizes are a bit different. There's a detailed measuring guide on their website or some branches of John Lewis stock them.

mumznet Thu 26-Jan-17 14:39:25

sorry I don't live anywhere near Wells. but thank you anyway :-)

one podiatrist said hotter shoes are quite soft so not that great...but I have never tried them myself. did you guys find hotter shoes too soft?

wondering if the heel does lift slightly is that a huge issue or does it not matter that much?

the Ecco laces ones are okay now with the insoles...I think when they were new they are tight but feel okay now after a few hours....but heel still lifts....

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: