Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Can't stop worrying, mum, blood in urine, tests

(14 Posts)
identityhidden Wed 25-Jan-17 22:37:23

My mum had a CT today after they've found blood in her urine several times, usually it isnt visible blood. They suspected kideny stones but they aren't 100% sure. She has a cystoscopy booked for 14th Feb, 8 weeks after she saw consutlant and months after all this started.

My own GP said today it's highly unlikely to be anything nasty but I can't stop myself from worrying. She said distraction is they key. I was self medicating my worries with strong painkillers so have stopped that, not healthy. I just need to know my mum's OK and not going to go anywhere but I can't find reassurance anywhere sad

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Jan-17 00:17:01

I always have a little blood in mine (i have to test daily) and my last two readings were extremely high but no infection. Does your mum have anything else?

OnNaturesCourse Thu 26-Jan-17 00:17:04

I always have a little blood in mine (i have to test daily) and my last two readings were extremely high but no infection. Does your mum have anything else?

Tanfastic Thu 26-Jan-17 23:12:19

I'd try not to worry, I'm a bit of an expert in this field having gone through it myself last year.

Invisible blood in urine is nearly always innocent. It's more worrying if you can see the blood in the toilet bowl but even then it's more likely to. E something like an infection or kidney stones.

I had an infection although it didn't show anything up of significance at the lab but I was very uncomfortable down below for months. I had invisible blood in my urine every time I was dipstick tested (usually + or ++) I was referred for a bladder and kidney scan and cystoscopy and all was clear.

Consultant who did my cystoscopy said he only normally finds something in 1 out of 20 people with invisible blood and when I say find something I don't mean a tumour necessarily but a reason for it. They can find no explanation why I have blood in mine and I still do have it

Doesn't worry me now but if you search the archives you will no doubt stumble across my post where I nearly had a bloody nervous breakdown over it blush.

I'm sure your mum will be fine op. She'll get the results of the cystoscopy straight away.

identityhidden Thu 26-Jan-17 23:48:34

She did see it once, but that was just after an infection (or so the dipstick said). She's been diagnosed as iron defficient too which makes me think there's loads of blood but I don't know. She says nothing she can see.

I can't seem to stop worrying at all about it. Her CT scan was yesterday and they said the consutlant would have the results of that today. If something was found on that I guess they'd phone pretty fast and not leave her cystoscopy another 3 weeks. I don't know.

My GP said highly unlikely to be sinister as well but I don't think i am going to be able to settle until she has all her results that God willing are all OK.

She had an ultrasound way back in September about 6 weeks after this all started and that was normal, no signs of kidney stones, no signs of anything else. She then didn't see a consutlant until Decemb3r as she cancelled two appointments so I think that's maybe why there's been such a delay.

I need to try and calm down don't I.

identityhidden Thu 26-Jan-17 23:55:32

Now lying in bed crying. I have a drawer full of meds I could use to help me drop off but I was catheterised at the start of the week and they aren't totally sure which medication caused it , it wouldn't be good to take anything

brighthouse Fri 27-Jan-17 00:13:08

Try and stop worrying. I am one of these people that have blood in their urine when tested. When I went to see a urologist I got all the tests they came back normal. He said some people can have blood in their urine. I think mine are reaccurrent uti's.

OnNaturesCourse Fri 27-Jan-17 13:18:50

How are you n mum today?

OnNaturesCourse Fri 27-Jan-17 13:18:52

How are you n mum today?

identityhidden Fri 27-Jan-17 22:49:47

Not too bad thanks, my mum had a seizure which is sort of normal for her. They took her into big A&E for a review. She got discharged about an hour ago and on way home now thankfully . Home for tea and toast and bed for both of us I think.

identityhidden Fri 27-Jan-17 22:50:28

Perhaps if the CT was not OK they'd have said tonight but I don't know . Mum never mentioned it and maybe they never checked sad

identityhidden Fri 27-Jan-17 23:00:42

She has had a breast lump 3 times and all 3 times she was OK. I kept saying to myself I would be petrified of the 4th time.

I don't know how to settle it in my mind, I have had CBT before. I wanted to go back to work, I've been off for weeks on end but not allowed to go back until after the 3 February now. I know that's only a week away but it's hard to fill my mind with things that don't scare me witless.

OnNaturesCourse Sat 28-Jan-17 11:46:27

If they find anything too concerning they do tend to context the person or put an alert on their file, so it should have flagged up in a&e. Xx

OnNaturesCourse Sat 28-Jan-17 11:46:29

If they find anything too concerning they do tend to context the person or put an alert on their file, so it should have flagged up in a&e. Xx

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now