Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Child's scar on lip - scar tissue?

(3 Posts)
FacelikeaBagofHammers Wed 25-Jan-17 16:25:37

Hi
About a year ago, my 5 year old daughter had an accident and split her lower lip. They recommended she have it stitched by plastic surgery team (as it went very slightly over the lip/skin boundary) under a general aesthetic. Surgery went really well and the stitches were very neat.

However since it healed, when she smiles, there is a very obvious, slightly raised vertical white line along the scar and I'm really concerned it'll be obvious when she's older. We use scar serum nightly but it hasn't helped. I'll say it to the GP the next time I'm visiting but does anyone here have any experience with something similar? Is there anything we can do to help it heal better?

Thanks!

LaundryQueenHatesIroning Wed 25-Jan-17 16:27:50

I think that's called a keloid. I have one on a scar on my arm, it hasn't gone down on its own, I'm not sure there's much that can be done but I've never inquired about it myself to be honest

Patriciathestripper1 Wed 25-Jan-17 19:17:29

My daughter age 10 had exactly the same injury and by the sound of it has left the same scar. My gp said It's not a keyloid it's just normal scar tissue. If it bothers her when she is older a cosmetic surgeon can remove it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now