Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone had lens replacement surgery?

(8 Posts)
JJBlinks Wed 25-Jan-17 10:14:25

My mum is looking at this - she's in her 60's with terrible eyesight. She's asked for my view but I only know what I have gleaned from google. Anyone want to share their experiences good and bad?

maisiejones Wed 25-Jan-17 15:06:10

I've had one eye done. Had retinal detachment, the treatment for which invariably causes a cataract. Have always been very short sighted and worn contact lenses for decades, even having perfect vision in just one eye is amazing so I will get the other eye done at some stage. The surgery itself is a doddle. Takes about 15 minutes per eye and local anaesthetic makes it completely painless. Patch on eye for 24 hours and drops for a week as I recall. Well worth doing imo.

JJBlinks Wed 25-Jan-17 18:54:02

Thanks for your message. My mum is nervous about getting something foreign put in her eye but as she is -8 vision I think it would really change her life! Plus means no chance of cataracts in the future too.

walruswhiskers Wed 25-Jan-17 18:57:50

My dad had both eyes done for cataracts. Has been transformative - he was genuinely going blind (young too - early 60s). Was about a year between eyes iirc. Both times a day case, in and out in a couple of hours, home with drops for a week or so. Unpleasant procedure I think but no pain. Had to be careful moving for a day or two - no bending etc. Healed fine and he now only has glasses for reading, having needed them for driving and to all my life.

ithakabythesea Wed 25-Jan-17 18:58:07

I have - I thoroughly recommend. Not needing contact lenses is fantastic. I chose this over laser surgery as it was recommended due to my age (late 40s) and doesn't need done again/no cataracts.

The surgery was easy, just light sedation, totally painless. The worst thins is having to do the drops 4 times a day for a week. They do one eye first then you go back for the second.

walruswhiskers Wed 25-Jan-17 18:58:28

To = tv.

MagicChicken Wed 25-Jan-17 18:59:31

My friend had it done recently and she's in her sixties. She said it was painless, the recovery was easy and straightforward and the results were fantastic. However, after about 8 months she started to have problems with one eye rejecting the new lens so she has to have another procedure t correct it. It was a risk she was always warned about so I guess she was just unlucky.

JJBlinks Wed 25-Jan-17 21:43:16

Thanks - all sounds reassuring. I think she's just scared of messing with her eyes but I think the outcome for her would be amazing. I always remember as a child the panicked "don't move" if I came into the bathroom and she'd dropped a contact lense...it was in the days before disposables..!!!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now