Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

** 8mth old recovering from stomach bug ** advice please

(5 Posts)
DetentionGrrrl Sun 25-Feb-07 08:27:47

DS was checked over by a doctor yesterday, and he's home now. Hadn't kept down any fluids from 5am yesterday until last night, when he kept a few ozs down. He also had some fluid/salt replacement drink as per doctor.

Vomiting seems to have stopped, but should i keep him off solids today? He's still not himself, and is drinking small amounts.

kbaby Sun 25-Feb-07 11:03:50

I would offer small amounts of water for most of today just to make sure hes keeping fluids down and then later on only offer something from BRAT
Bananas
Rice
Apples
Toast
Try not to let him overfeed which he may if hes hungry as itll be more likely to come back up again.

Ali5 Sun 25-Feb-07 11:23:58

My DS (almost 8 months too) had a tummy bug about 4 weeks ago. His last major vom was at night before bed. We then just gave him water until 7 in the morning then we gave him a bit of milk and did our best to slow him down taking it (he was ravenous). We did the same for the rest of the day - just offering milk for 24 hours. His appetite was really small so I made sure I got the milk down him but then offered him a bit of 'mild' food - mainly banana, veggies and potatoes. It took him a couple of weeks to get back to where he was. It's awful when they're poorly like this isn't it? Hope he gets better soon.

Tatties Sun 25-Feb-07 11:27:32

I would imagine he's probably not interested in eating much. The advice I have had from doctors is to let them eat if they want to, but I would only offer really light, plain things like toast. If you are bf, continue feeding him if he wants. And obviously offer small drinks of water. Hope he's back to his old self soon

DetentionGrrrl Sun 25-Feb-07 16:37:44

i hope he gets totally better soon- i was really frightened yesterday to be honest. He went all sleepy and floppy, and was projectile vomiting everywhere..inc all over my face!

He's had a small rice cake and some banana, and about a quarter of his usual amount of milk.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now