Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Gallbladder dyskinesia

(16 Posts)
Bubble2bubble Mon 23-Jan-17 20:48:58

Anyone had this? and did you end up having your gallbladder removed?

I have absolutely classic gallstone symptoms but at a scan today there are very obviously no stones or anything unusual at all. Consultant is referring me for an HID scan which sounds gruesome but apparently will confirm if my gallbladder just isn't working effectively. I don't want surgery, but I really do want the pain to go away sad

helpimitchy Tue 24-Jan-17 14:20:48

I wonder if I have this. I've had gallbladder pain for a few years now, but it really floored me last year and the ultrasound showed no stones. I keep things under control with diet.

What do they do on the HID scan?

Are you taking any Buscopan, because that's very good at relieving the spasms?

Bubble2bubble Tue 24-Jan-17 18:32:39

I did take a Buscopan today ( was in crippling pain after avocado in a salad at lunchtime ), though not sure it made any difference.

At the HID scan apparently you swallow a radioactive tracer and they feed you something fatty so they can measure how the gallbladder reacts. Most likely, I think, is that it may not be emptying properly and therefore struggling to digest fats. I didn't ask what might happen next but Google seems to say removal is still a possibility.

Do you basically avoid all fat?

Bettertobehealthy Wed 25-Jan-17 20:01:30

Ask for a CT scan . I had gallbladder pain type symptoms , but ultrasound scan was clear. No stones visible. Then , following a severely painful episode, I had the CT scan , and gallstones showed up.
It was a relief to get diagnosis. !

Apparently an ultrasound scan can miss them.

Bubble2bubble Wed 25-Jan-17 20:09:17

That is worrying better, and have to admit it was in the back of my mind...

trinity0097 Wed 25-Jan-17 20:32:53

I have gallbladder problems at the moment and my dose of buscopan is two tablets, next time try two?

helpimitchy Wed 25-Jan-17 21:02:58

I take two together initially and if I'm in a lot of pain.

I have another ultrasound early Feb.

I'm having a low fat diet. I did have a few salted peanuts the other day and had some pain, so it seems to depend on the amount of fat I'm having.

I've looked on Youtube at HIDA scans and it doesn't seem too bad although you can get pain with the stuff they inject to make the gallbladder spasm.

jemmstar1980 Wed 25-Jan-17 21:07:13

I had my gallbladder out due to gallstones, gallbladder attacks are the worst! You have my sympathy but two years of runny bum post op was t much more fun smile

lobsterkiller Thu 26-Jan-17 06:51:15

I had dyskinesia. I would recommend having your gallbladder removed. Before surgery my life was miserable due to low energy and constant pain.

HIDA scan was OK. .worse part was having to listen to Katie Melua and the spice girls on loop!

Bubble2bubble Thu 26-Jan-17 08:01:39

Interesting lobster. I suspect I will end up with surgery but they need to prove a need as the ultrasound makes me look completely healthy.

May need to come prepared with my own music then wink

Oncandystripedlegs Tue 23-May-17 13:45:18

Hi, did you get your HIDA scan? I am in a similar situation, bloods and ultrasound were clear but awful pain when I eat anything fatty. Off to docs tomorrow and hoping they will refer me.

Chamber587 Tue 20-Feb-18 20:40:51

Have you had the HIDA? So since November for 5-7 days every month I get intense pain which is common with gallbladder problems. Ultra sound and mri are clear so now waiting for HIDA to check functionality!

Just wondering, if I have the HIDA when I’m not showing symptoms will it still be accurate 🤔 or do I need to be in an ‘episide’ For it to show it not working?

Oncandystripedlegs Wed 21-Feb-18 06:53:17

Hi , I had a Hida scan in December. They gave me a fatty drink to see how the gall bladder reacted and see how it was functioning .Theycan tell from its ejection rate I think .

It was a little uncomfortable but mostly I was just freezing as the room has to be cold so wear lots of layers !

Chamber587 Wed 21-Feb-18 10:47:23

Have you had the results yet?

Oncandystripedlegs Wed 21-Feb-18 20:33:40

Yes, my gallbladder is fine but they think it is something called Sphincter of Oddi Disfunction, which gives very similar pain to Gallstones but it quite rare .
At the moment, touch wood, I am managing okay with a controlled diet and buscopan .

When is your scan ?

Chamber587 Wed 21-Feb-18 21:07:18

I’m waiting for a date. I only saw my consultant yesterday following MRI . As that shows the gallbladder is normal he suspects its because my GB isn’t functioning properly. He said if it’s a certain % of functionality they’ll recommend it’s removed, However he said it might not quite reach that % so I can decide what to do, whether to have surgery or not.

What’s the treatment for your condition? Just diet? Also how often would you be in pain? Mine is pretty constant but then I get really bad flare ups once or twice a month that lasts a few days. I was really bad last week and then today it’s kickec in again 😩

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now