Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Will DD always need glasses?

(15 Posts)
yaela123 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:25:43

I know MN isn't an official medical site but wondered what you all thought.

DD is 14 and has worn glasses since she was 11 (although they said she should have got them earlier at age 7/8).

She has astigmatism (or something like that) and mildly farsighted (about +0.75 and +1.50).

Will she need correction (glasses/contacts/surgery) forever or could she possibly grow out of it?

She likes glasses atm and is perfectly happy and they said she could get contacts if she wants so there's no problem at all. I am just curious.

redannie118 Mon 23-Jan-17 19:42:50

If she has astigmatism she will always have it ( as me and my kids do) however it doesn't sound too bad and she should be a good candidate for corrective surgery if that's what she decides in the future

yaela123 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:21:21

Is it genetic then? confused

Me and her brother have it too but we both have much worse prescriptions (Me: av. +5.50, DS: av. +3.00). I first got glasses age 9 and have worn contacts for almost 30 yrs since I was a teen.

I wasn't sure if it was genetic or just a coincidence as it seems quite common. Come to think of it I think that's what my sis has too.

Spam88 Mon 23-Jan-17 21:24:14

As PP said, if she's got an astigmatism then she'll always need glasses. I think they can do stuff to improve your vision up to around age 8 but not after that, although my brother briefly had glasses when he was a little older than that but didn't need them after a year or so.

youarenotkiddingme Mon 23-Jan-17 21:28:35

Form what ds optician said.

Long sightedness can improve as a child grows. Usually it's children who wear glasses for long distance from a young age.

Astigmatism doesn't change or disappear because it's to do with shape of eyes.

Ds has slight long sightedness (+1) and slight astigmatism (-1.25) and I have slight short sightedness (-0.75) and severe astigmatism (-2.50).

Ds is likely to always need glasses and has worn them since he was 5!

youarenotkiddingme Mon 23-Jan-17 21:29:10

Oh and I definitely will always need them - I can see bugger all without mine!

Shedoesntgetthatfromme Mon 23-Jan-17 21:32:39

The consultant we saw for my daughter's astigmatism told me that she had indeed got it from me (despite my username....)

SheepyFun Mon 23-Jan-17 21:37:48

I used to wear glasses for mild longsightedness (and my eyes weren't equally bad either) - I needed them from ~12-22, when I realised I was no longer getting headaches if I didn't wear glasses, and I could read music accurately without them (had become an issue before I'd got them - I could see if a note was on a line or a space, just not which one). So there's hope for your DD yet.

madamginger Mon 23-Jan-17 21:57:45

I have astigmatism in my left eye but not my right and I don't need glasses, although I probably will in the future, according to my optician.
My sister is long sighted and wore glasses full time as a child but she's now in her 30s and she only has to wear them to read and to drive.

SpikeGilesSandwich Mon 23-Jan-17 22:03:11

Not sure if this is true but when I was young, my optician explained astigmatism to me as, "most people have round eyeballs, like footballs, yours are more rugby ball shaped"
Think I'll google it now...

BertieBotts Mon 23-Jan-17 22:04:45

Mine hasn't gone away in fact I think it's got worse recently. I haven't had an eye test for about four years and I've noticed things are getting a little bit fuzzy in the distance now. But my current glasses are okay for driving.

I never wear my glasses at home, only when I'm out.

helensburgh Mon 23-Jan-17 22:07:59

What's her actual. Prescription?
If it's +0.75DS and +1.50DS then they aren't needed at all!

namechangedtoday15 Mon 23-Jan-17 22:14:59

Maybe different prognosis for different conditions but I understood that sight only improves / changes until about 8 years old. DS has been wearing glasses since he before he was 3 (prescription around +6.00 in both eyes) and was under the eye hospital until just after his 8th birthday when he was discharged. He now just sees an optician every year. It did improve when he was younger although its still +5.

I think your eyesight can deteriorate with age / use of computer screens etc but is unlikely to improve.

yaela123 Tue 24-Jan-17 21:19:39

I managed to find the prescription they gave us last time (shock) which was about 4 months ago (she goes yearly). It was less than I remembered:

It says
Right:
Sph +1.25
Cyl -1.50
Axis 173.0

Left:
Sph +0.25
Cyl -1.25
Axis 7.0

youarenotkiddingme Tue 24-Jan-17 21:36:54

Her right eye is just like both my ds.

The issue with the almost equal +/- is that the eye has different sight abilities at different angles. I'm not sure if science of it but do know it can cause squint like problems if glasses aren't worn.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now