Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Exploratory surgery on Friday, now another bad test result

(8 Posts)
nellieellie Mon 23-Jan-17 14:01:59

I'm in a panic. Last week, I was told I needed surgery for removal of ovaries, and, depending what is found, a hysterectomy. I've had a cyst for a while and recent ultrasound, MRI and ct show a mass that does not have characteristics of either just a cyst or endometrioma (which I had before, 12 years ago), or a typical cancer. However, I have a high CA125 reading, 270, which they think unusual if just endometriosis as I'm 53 and not had a period for over a year. I think they think its cancerous. The ct scan also showed what they described as a lump of fat over my heart. The gynae oncologist said she'd refer to colleagues but wasn't too bothered by it. Now I'm due to have surgery this Friday. This morning, I got a call to ask me to go in to see a lung consultant re the 'lump of fat' on Thursday after a 'multidisciplinary meeting when my case will be discussed Wednesday afternoon. I am terrified that it's a secondary cancer and the ovarian cancer has spread. I've asked for the consultant to phone me before Thursday as otherwise I won't sleep. I've two young children, 11 and 9. I've always been fit and healthy and suddenly Im terrified I'm going to leave my children without a mum. I don't really know why Im posting this. Just in the hope that maybe someone can put some perspective on it.....

Welshmamma Mon 23-Jan-17 22:11:38

Hiya x Sorry nobody had replied to your post and I don't have any words of wisdom for you. But I wanted to say that i wish you all the luck in the world!
I am guessing they have been monitoring you as you have a cyst? I have a biocular cyst with a septation and I am scanned every three months. I am hoping this will alert my consultant if there are any changes and hopefully I will get treatment that's effective. I hope this is the case for you.... please let me know how you get on lovely x I have three children and the worry of this cyst turning and leaving my babies is awful ..... big hugs xxx

nellieellie Tue 24-Jan-17 14:12:47

Thank you Welshmama. Yes, mine was being monitored, but then my mum died and I had to look after my dad 40mins drive away so appointments were cancelled. Even now, I had a call at midnight and had to drive down to my dads as he'd had a fall. All night with the paramedics, morning cleaning up bloodstains, chasing up doctors, district nurses. Just got back home. 2 missed messages from the consultants. Now I have to find either a rest home for respite care, or an agency that does overnight stays for my dad. By end of tomorrow. Tomorrow is my birthday. I've had no sleep but need to set off in an hour for another hour and a half round trip to pick up my son from school. I do feel that something has got to give here.

Welshmamma Tue 24-Jan-17 18:01:32

Ooh my lovely I empathise with you!! Your health cannot take a back seat.... if your not well or here who will take care of your dad and son xxx Is there anyone who can help you with all this? How old are your kids? Xx

olympicsrock Tue 24-Jan-17 18:03:59

Just to say I am thinking of you. This must be so scary. Just breathe through it and try not to worry until you have spoken to the consultant. No news is good news. Hugs and Happy Birthday for tomorrow. Hope all is ok x

QODRestYeMerryGentlemen Tue 24-Jan-17 18:06:38

💐

Frazzled2207 Tue 24-Jan-17 18:23:30

My goodness that sounds tough. I hope you have some answers soon x

Blossomdeary Tue 24-Jan-17 18:34:54

A very difficult time for you. I think it is important that you seek other help for your Dad just now. Make an urgent referral to his local SSD - explain your current health problems and ask them to take it from there. I know you would like to be closely involved, but just at this moment you cannot do that.

Your priority at the moment has to be your own health. I know this is a very worrying time and I can fully understand that you are feeling very concerned and frightened. There are positives - they are clearly playing safe and doing all the right things for you.

I wish you all the best for Friday's surgery and hope that the news will be good. flowers

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now