Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Can anyone advise re gallbladder op please - slightly complicated

(29 Posts)
dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 13:49:09

I would really appreciate advice.

3 months ago my lovely DH was diagnosed out of the blue with advanced prostate cancer which has spread to bones and lymph nodes. No cure but he is having treatment to try and keep him with us for as long as possible.

Meanwhile after lots of discomfort in right side I have been diagnosed with 'numerous large gallstones measuring up to 11cm.) I'm quite slim but did lose half a stone quickly when DH diagnosed which may have triggered the discomfort.

Consultant says I need gallbladder removed to avoid risk of pancreatitis. He was so kind (aware of DH situation who happened UK be in chemo room next door.) and said they could do it quickly to 'get one thing out of the way for you.'

I said that I didn't feel that I could go ahead immediately unless emergency because DH still in middle of chemo. He really was amazing and then said no probs we'll plus you on list for 3 months time but if things difficult just say and we'll try and work around it.

To be honest - other than thinking how brilliant the NHS is I was really paying too much attention as was more worried about DH.

If appointment comes through in 3 months it will be just ahead of DS A levels and I don't want to put anything extra on him while DH I'll too so would probably ask for another delay in op.

Would this be ok ? I'm not actually in any severe pain - it's just the fact that the large gallstones are there and the Dr says it needs to come out - otherwise I would just leave gallbladder there. I don't want to do anything that jeopardises my health as I am obsessed now with being ok for the DC's but at the same time don't want to make our lives even more complicated with an op at a difficult time it's it's not urgent.

Sorry that is so long ! Would appreciate any thoughts.

TweeBee Mon 23-Jan-17 13:52:26

Oh gosh op so much going on for you flowers
I think it may be possible for a blockage to develop - and the longer you wait the more chance of it happening.
You could ring hosp and ask to speak to consultant's secretary or are there specialist nurses?

lanbro Mon 23-Jan-17 13:58:14

It's important to get it sorted in case of further complications, the worst case scenario is they can kill you....

I had my gall bladder removed with keyhole surgery. I was only in hospital for about 8hrs in day surgery. I was very sore for a few days and couldn't drive for a couple of weeks. I had been signed off work for 3 weeks but only took 2 as felt well enough.

Tough times but you probably need to do this to ensure you're well and able in the future

LizzieMacQueen Mon 23-Jan-17 13:59:26

If I were you I'd take the op now.

There's some mild discomfort and recovery from the operation but the inconvenience of not being able to drive might be more limiting.

Would it be open surgery or laprascopic?

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:04:17

He said it would be keyhole.

I should have asked this on the day but wasn't very focussed. I take a small dose of a tricyclic (25mg of an old AD called clomipramine from when I had PND years ago - I never managed to stop it completely without horrible withdrawal so just stay on small dose.) I read somewhere that might have to stop this before op - does anyone know if that's the case. It makes no difference if don't take for a couple of days but longer than that the withdrawal kicks in and I can get v shaky.

Sorry this is all shaky.

Good news is that I have a very busy senior job and my employer is being incredibly supportive so that's one thing I don't need to worry about.

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:05:02

Should say - 'sorry this is all complicated' !

OldLibrary Mon 23-Jan-17 14:08:36

I've had mine out, and if I were you I would just get it done asap.

I was absolutely fine after a couple of days, and felt so much better.

There's never a good time for these things, so I'd get it out of the way, you don't want any problems from it further down the line: Sod's law it will happen when it is most tricky!

Wolpertinger Mon 23-Jan-17 14:09:37

Take the op. It's day case and recovery time is short - usually a fortnight off work. I honestly could have gone back after a week.

In all honesty, your DH could be having another sort of chemo in 3 months time or something else will be going on in your family - you need to be well. Having the op ASAP gives you the best chance of being well.

Can't see why you would need to come of the clomipramine either but that would be assessed at your pre-op assessment. Get the op out of the way and move on.

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:20:21

Thanks so much everyone for advice.
I've lost the opportunity to have it done immediately. The thought of DH being mid chemo plus me not being able to drive (we don't have family anywhere close by) just seemed to be a step too far.

Also - as I'm not in serious pain (fingers crossed that continues !!!) it felt all a bit self indulgent when DH so ill.

To be honest though I am making rubbish decisions at the minute. The more I try and do the right things the more rubbish my decisions are getting confusedsmile

Anyway I've taken on board everything you've said and will take the first next date they offer. Even if around exams hopefully that won't affect DS. (He doesn't need me to drive him to school or anything.)

Wolpertinger Mon 23-Jan-17 14:31:50

Phone up consultant's secretary and say you've thought about it and would like it done urgently.

Lots of people have chemo when there are no drivers in the house, it's not a disaster - you just use transport that time or a taxi.

Please get it over with - leaving your gallbladder in there is not an option, especially as you have been told you are at risk of pancreatitis.

HelenaJustina Mon 23-Jan-17 14:36:10

I would also ring and say you've changed your mind and would like to be a priority, it gets it out of the way and the recovery from a planned keyhole op will be much smoother than if you have an attack, develop an infection, have to be admitted or have the op as an emergency.
flowers this must be the last thing you need right now, but that would make me more inclined to get rid than wait.

BrianBettyGrable Mon 23-Jan-17 14:41:51

What a horrible situation to be in.
Glad to hear you're going to take the next available date. I had pancreatitis caused by gallstones - was extremely ill. The actual gallbladder op was straightforward and recovery time a few weeks.
All the best to you and your family.

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:45:53

Sorry I think I've been over dramatic blush
He didn't say that I was at risk of pancreatitis than anyone else with gallstones. He just said that was one of the risks of leaving gallbladder there. He did also say that there was a chance it would never cause a problem but his advice was to have it taken out.
He didn't seem concerned about a 3 month wait. But from what you are all saying - me delaying it again (and again) is not a good idea.

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:47:08

Didn't say I was MORE at risk than anyone else.
Typing too quickly on phone

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 14:48:33

BrianBetty sorry you really suffered. What symptoms did you have ?

fuckweasel Mon 23-Jan-17 15:46:02

I'd say have the op. If you have any more problems, the risk of having unplanned emergency surgery increases and also an increased chance of open surgery (which is a far longer recovery time than keyhole).

I'm having mine out soon!

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 15:56:01

Good luck Weasel !
Have you had a lot of pain ?

fuckweasel Mon 23-Jan-17 18:16:01

None whatsoever......until I ended up in hospital on a drip all of a sudden! Do not want to risk that again. Unrelentless pain for a week (morphine and tramadol did nothing at all).

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 18:52:14

That sounds horrendous - I'm
assuming you had no idea what it was causing so much pain at first either which must have been scary.
Have you had to wait long for your op ?

fuckweasel Mon 23-Jan-17 19:21:40

I had no idea until the doctor prodded my gallbladder! An ultrasound confirmed there was a gallstone causing cholecystitis. It will be four months between being hospitalised and the op. Probably would have been sooner if Christmas and New Year hadn't got in the way.

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 19:41:42

Hope you have a quick recovery

Pericombobulations Mon 23-Jan-17 21:30:33

I can understand where you are coming from, but I had a pre-planned gallbladder removal - was in and out in a day. My mum got taken in in an ambulance, hers was infected, and she was in hospital 6 days as despite having her removed within 24 hours, they wouldnt let her leave until her infection had cleared.

Weigh up the risks of both and make your decision based on that.

Titsywoo Mon 23-Jan-17 21:37:10

I've had my gallstones just sitting there for over 2 years now - nearly 3 I think. Chances are you'll be fine waiting. The doctor would have told me if it was urgent. Can you stick to a low fat diet to help minimise risk of them getting stuck?

Titsywoo Mon 23-Jan-17 21:38:52

The doctor would have told you not me blush

dahliaaa Mon 23-Jan-17 21:50:12

Thank you for all the input.
Could you all move in and give calm advice on life in general for a couple of weeks smile

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: