Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Having an awful first period after 3rd baby - and I'm not coping...

(7 Posts)
Luna7993 Mon 23-Jan-17 11:31:42

I've had 3 babies in quick succession, and now 10 months after birth of 3rd, my period has returned - and I'm not coping very well!!! Before kids I was on the pill so had a "fake" light period. Then in between kids I breastfed and fell pregnant again instantly. Now that hubby has had snip, and we're done, this return of the period is a bit shocking!! I don't want to go back on the pill or have any coil or anything, but the flow is horrendous, my pelvic floor is so shattered that neither tampons or cups are holding anything back. I'm currently wearing giant disposable pads which are so uncomfortable and need replacing every 45 minutes!!! I don't think I can go through this every 4 weeks. How are other ladies coping post childbirth? and without returning to birth control pills, etc?

MollyHuaCha Mon 23-Jan-17 16:33:27

flowersPlease seek a professional opinion. You do not need to put up with draining periods x

JJBlinks Mon 23-Jan-17 16:35:54

You have my sympathy. I was in a similar situation to you after my 3rd - - all born in a short period of time. I was honestly shocked and really worried that I would suffer with really heavy periods from then on. My youngest is now 20 months and things have settled down - from memory the first couple of periods were really heavy but then much lighter and now not any trouble at all. Hope this helps. In the meantime plenty of brew cakecake and if you don't see a change in a few months go and see your gp.

AttilaTheMeerkat Mon 23-Jan-17 17:13:56

I would go and see your GP and sooner rather than later. Changes to menstrual bleeding should always be reported. Fibroids for instance can cause heavy bleeding to arise.

You should not have to put up with this because it is also impacting on your day to day life.

AddictedtoSnickers Mon 23-Jan-17 17:57:02

I had 3 children quite close together and had 2 or 3 awful periods when I started having periods again. It had been over 5 years of having virtually none due to either pregnancy / breastfeeding and it was a huge, horrible shock. They settled down though and are now actually less than I remember from before conceiving my eldest. Youngest is now nearly 2 so I would say I've had about 8 periods since I stopped feeding him. I really hope you find the same X

Luna7993 Tue 24-Jan-17 13:42:23

Thanks all - Ooo I would love to think that because this is my first real period in years (and years and years and years) that maybe after a few cycles it will calm down... fingers crossed! x

mistermagpie Tue 24-Jan-17 13:48:14

I've only had one baby (am pg with the second now) but my periods were terrible when they first came back. I had never had painful periods before and wasn't on contraception for years before getting pregnant, so it was quite a shock.

After the first few months they did get better though, I think it takes a while to settle down. I would see your GP if they are very heavy though, just to rule out anything sinister.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now