Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Anyone know about pacemakers - recovery time etc?

(3 Posts)
CorporalNobbyNobbs Mon 23-Jan-17 10:48:55

Hello,

I'm 37 and am due to have a pacemaker inserted soon for 2nd degree heart block/AV dissociation. Don't have the appointment date yet but hopefully in next month or so. Anyone have experience of this operation and recovery time etc? I am asymptomatic, issue was picked up on ECG screening.

I have a second interview this week for a new job and if I am offered it (fingers crossed) I'd need to give them a heads up that I will need a few days off for the procedure in the the near future so just wondering how long. Have tried ringing hospital but no answer and anyway they usually just say something vague.

Office job btw nothing strenuous.

MrsRyanGosling15 Mon 23-Jan-17 11:01:09

They are done as a day patient in the hospital I work at. You will need IV antibiotics before and a dose after and someone will do an xray and check the leads/programming of the device. Area may be swollen and painful, painkillers and keeping it moving will help. small mepore dressing over it which can be removed the next day. No stitches need removed. People have been back to work in day or 2, sometimes a week depending on their job. No heavy lifting etc on the left side though so that may prolong the time off. Depending on your weight/build you may also be able to fell the box and some pacemakers do make a 'ticking' sound that you can hear if it's really quite Nd you have good hearing!

CorporalNobbyNobbs Mon 23-Jan-17 11:12:07

Thanks MrsRyan. I've been told overnight stay but that's it. My job is literally sitting at desk so possibly might be able to work from home too.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now