Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet hasn't checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have medical concerns, please seek medical attention; if you think your problem could be acute, do so immediately. Even qualified doctors can't diagnose over the internet, so do bear that in mind when seeking or giving advice.

Extra long period - worried

(4 Posts)
FlaptheWings Mon 23-Jan-17 09:53:22

Hi everyone. I'm hoping that somebody can reassure me here, as I'm getting really worried.

I had baby DD in August, then had lochia for about 3 weeks. I then had 2 subsequent periods which seemed normal, roughly 28 days apart etc. They were quite heavy, but I have heavy periods anyway. My last period was due on Christmas day. It turned up a day or so late, and just didn't quite fit the pattern they normally take (light brown/pink at the start, getting heavier with clots etc, then fading away to brown again). Instead it started watery pink and then has just been bright red, sometimes heavy and with clots, and it has never stopped since, so about 4 weeks now. Could it be to do with being recently pregnant, or maybe peri-menopause (I'm almost 40), or more sinister?

I have got a GP appointment tomorrow, but I'm really worried. Can anyone reassure me please? thanks

njshep Mon 23-Jan-17 11:42:07

Please don't worry. You only had your baby six months ago and it takes a good full year before things settle down. I have had 4 children and nothing is normal until that year mark. Could be hormonally driven or just the lining could be thick at this point, but either way make your appt to feel better but I would just chalk it up to post partum oddities!

MTMFH Mon 23-Jan-17 11:46:47

I bled on and off for around 11 weeks after DD was born and my periods are still not back to normal (she's 5 months old). I would guess it's just hormones but you're doing the right thing getting checked over. Good luck and try not to worry.

FlaptheWings Mon 23-Jan-17 12:13:14

Thanks both of you. thanks

DD is my third baby, and things never seemed like this after the other two, but then nothing has been the same this time round!

DD was born at the end of August, so she is just 5 months too MTMFH.

Thank you for the reassurance. Hopefully I will get answers tomorrow from the GP.

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now »

Already registered? Log in with: