Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

6 year old with a temperature of 39 - does he need a doctor?

(12 Posts)
littlemissbossy Sat 24-Feb-07 19:26:54

might sound obvious to some, but I hate to waste the time of the emergency doc. DS has been ill for the last 2 days, lethargic, headache (at times), feverish, has been sick today (twice), has temperature of 39 which is not coming down despite nurofen/calpol all day and yesterday. No sore throat or ear pain. Does he need the doctor or will it just be viral/wasting their time??
TIA

tiredemma Sat 24-Feb-07 19:28:01

where did you take that temp from? ( diff parts of body give diff readings)

NAB3 Sat 24-Feb-07 19:28:03

I would ring NHS direct. Hopw long has he had the high temp for? If it isn't coming down with Calpol I think you need to see someone. It is what doctors are there for.

littlemissbossy Sat 24-Feb-07 19:30:59

Temperature from under the arm method.
His temperature has been up and down for the last two days. The 39 reading is the highest, taken about 15 mins ago.

belgo Sat 24-Feb-07 19:32:11

If you took his temp under his arm, then his actual temperature is higher then 39°C. I think you should call a doctor.

tiredemma Sat 24-Feb-07 19:32:47

temp from armpit above 37.2 would be classed as high temp.

I would contact NHS direct as it is a fairly high temp.

Tiggiwinkle Sat 24-Feb-07 19:33:05

That is especially high for an underarm temperature. If it is not coming down with Calpol and Nurofen, I would definitely seek advice.

Enid Sat 24-Feb-07 19:34:04

if it is not coming down with nurofen then deffo ring docs

poor love

littlemissbossy Sat 24-Feb-07 19:34:12

Thanks, I will call the doctor. Where we live you have to go to the out of hours service at the nearest hospital, didn't really want to take him out in the cold but think I'll have to.

Sobernow Sat 24-Feb-07 19:34:20

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

littlemissbossy Sat 24-Feb-07 20:30:31

Panic over. Doctor called, reassured me that it will probably be viral, but I can call back at any time and they will see him. In the last half an hour temperature is coming down and DS asked for a biscuit and said he feels fine

belgo Sat 24-Feb-07 20:31:46

Hope he continues to get better quickly! Ill children are worrying aren't they.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now