Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

DH's "funny turns"

(21 Posts)
MrsStinkey Sun 22-Jan-17 09:42:50

Looking to see if anybody has any suggestions as to what this could be.
For years (10 plus) DH has been having spates of what he calls "funny turns". It all starts with an extreme case of deja vu. He can tell you everything that's going to happen in a situation for a minute or two he says it feels as if time slows down. He can speak to you if you're there and tell you it's happening. Then it ends and he feels extremely sick for about 5 minutes and has to sit down. It can happen at any time of the day and he can go from having 3 in one day to then not having one for months or even a couple of years but can have a month where he experiences them on a weekly basis.
I used to think they were brought on with extreme tiredness and/or stress but he had 3 last weekend and he was neither tired or stressed.
He doesn't want to see the gp as he thinks it sounds silly and has had them for years so doesn't think they're life threatening.
So, does anyone else experience these or know of anything like this?

Graphista Sun 22-Jan-17 09:46:54

Would need more info-

Age, weight, general health, family history etc

But could potentially be Tia's (small strokes), epilepsy, high blood pressure, low blood pressure, diabetes...

Zippidydoodah Sun 22-Jan-17 09:47:03

Having watched a lot of greys anatomy (sorry!!) it sounds to me like it might be a brain thing...not to worry you but if that was me or my dh, I'd absolutely see a gp and get a neurologist referral.

Zippidydoodah Sun 22-Jan-17 09:48:08

Ps I know how ridiculous I sound, referring to the ever so accurate medical info in grey's...lol!! blushgrin

picklemepopcorn Sun 22-Jan-17 09:50:50

Could be migraine. Which could be triggered by light, sound, food, stress...
Some people never get a headache, but an aura first and nausea after. My first few were all when I was travelling. I'd feel very dissociated all day, then vomit at night and be very tired. Later they were associated with stress and I got the proper headache as well.

Crumbs1 Sun 22-Jan-17 09:54:15

If he's worried about it, if frequency is increasing or heightened impact, he needs to speak to GP and possible neurologist referral. ? Atypical migraine ? Focal epilepsy ?Stress related. Anyway, better to check it out.

MrsStinkey Sun 22-Jan-17 09:58:52

Thanks. He's 31 but has had them for over 10 years. He's generally fit, manual worker and gym 3 times a week. He eats relatively well I'd say ad is overall pretty healthy. Never gets a cold/sickness bug etc.

TheWombat Sun 22-Jan-17 10:02:04

It could be migraine. A close family member has experienced similar to this - very disorientating and disturbing. The first time it happened we went to A&E to rule out a mini-stroke as they were unable to answer simple questions (name of prime minister etc) although was conscious and talking, they just knew something 'wasn't right'. Migraine was only diagnosed after several tests and follow ups. If he goes to the dr they will take it seriously.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 22-Jan-17 10:04:45

It could be focal seizures. Have a google of temporal lobe seizures. Deja vu & gastrointestinal upset is classic for temporal lobe seizures.

ValeBrook Sun 22-Jan-17 10:06:25

I have epilepsy and this exactly how I feel during and after a fit. The feeling of déjà vu and intense sickness. It used to be called petit Mal, but has a different name now, but I can't remember what it is.

AttilaTheMeerkat Sun 22-Jan-17 10:06:39

He needs to seek medical advice for his "funny turns". Its been going on for 10 years after all. He being a manual worker and fit is irrelevant and not connected as to why this is happening. He may well be afraid or even embarrassed but that is no reason not to seek medical attention now for his sake. He needs to understand why this is happening in the first place.

MrsStinkey Sun 22-Jan-17 10:32:11

I've read about the petit mal and have suggested that to him a good few years ago as it does seem spot on to what he experiences.
For the record I totally know he needs to go to see the gp but unfortunately I can't force him and he's a nightmare when it comes to this kind of stuff. He's been needing root canal for about 4 months and is going about with a minging greyish temporary filling thing on his tooth hmm.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 22-Jan-17 10:39:34

Rather than petit Mal - google and show him temporal lobe focal seizures. His sounds an almost textbook example and it may be specific enough for him to realise he needs to see one (googling petit Mal will give lots of experiences that aren't like his as well).

Could he be persuaded by explaining that focal seizures can spread into tonic clonics (which are an almighty PITA in a way that focals aren't) but can often be well controlled by medication.

Devilishpyjamas Sun 22-Jan-17 10:40:01

Needs to see a doctor (not 'one')

Graceymac Sun 22-Jan-17 10:40:37

The concern I would have is if he is driving/swimming/working etc, while you say he is aware that he is having these "episodes" I am sure he cannot carry out these tasks safely when these episodes occur. He or someone else could be placed at serious risk. You know this already but he must get himself reviewed urgently.

moptophairshop Sun 22-Jan-17 10:46:00

That sounds so similar to my experiences, except I would have them up to 30 times on a bad day. I'd been having them for 3-4 years and just thought they were a sign of stress (I called them deja vu panic attacks). It took a full tonic clonic seizure & a trip to the neurologist before I was diagnosed with temporal lobe epilepsy. That was around 4 years ago now & with the right medication they are under control. Iwas told epilepsy can develop in adults & the cause isn't always known. It really needs addressing though as there are implications for driving, even when there is no loss of consciousness. I do hope your husband is ok. My life is quite different now to before this all started (I don't drink & have to get plenty of sleep), but I am so glad I had it investigated & now feel more in control of the situation.

MollyHuaCha Sun 22-Jan-17 13:26:44

Sounds like a form of epilepsy to me. But def needs a professional opinion.

AndHoldTheBun Sun 22-Jan-17 13:35:49

Epilepsy? This needs urgent investigation, even if it's been going on for years.

I hope he's not driving or operating other potentially dangerous machinery.

bingandabong Sun 22-Jan-17 13:39:48

My dad has the exact same thing, and has been told it's a form of epilepsy that he now has medication for, I would goto your GP they can refer and get a scan and rule everything out

Graphista Mon 23-Jan-17 01:27:02

Yes if he's a driver or operating dangerous machinery he has a responsibility to the safety of others to get it diagnosed and treated whatever it is.

MrsStinkey Mon 23-Jan-17 22:47:57

Thank you everyone. I think you're right as when I looked into it years ago thats the explanation I came up with. I think he should see a gp but unfortunately cannot force him to.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now