Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Sinusitis Misery

(36 Posts)
Mrsfrumble Sat 21-Jan-17 19:37:03

It's been a week now. My nose has been completely blocked for about 80% of that time. My throats is so irritated from post-nasal drip and breathing through my mouth that I can't stop coughing. I can't small or taste anything at all, and eating is rubbish when I'm trying to chew and breathe through my mouth at the same time. My ears are constantly blocking and popping. I keep waking up at night because of the coughing or because my mouth is so dry. My forehead and under my eyes are throbbing and so painful. I am SO MISERABLE!

Is anyone else suffering? Any quirky tips to help the symptoms? How much longer can I expect to endure this? NHS website reckons it can last up to three weeks! I might have tried to decapitate myself before then....

Bravas Sat 21-Jan-17 19:41:20

What are you taking for it? I had a bad bout for 3 weeks before Christmas, I ended up on antibiotics but a nasal spray from the chemist eased it the most. Hope you feel better soon.

MillieMoodle Sat 21-Jan-17 19:46:07

If you've had it about a week, might be time for a trip to the GP for some antibiotics. When I've had it in the past they've always prescribed them if it's no better after a week or so.

Also might be worth trying a probiotic like actimel every day if you don't already. I know some people think they don't work but I had a really bad spell of 6 months or so of colds and sinusitis a few years ago and my GP suggested it. It works for me!

Hope you're feeling better soon OP. flowers

rebeccahazel Sat 21-Jan-17 19:49:37

Poor thing, I know how miserable it can make you feel.
Not a quick fix, but since I've been taking a nasal spray called Nasonex regularly, I haven't had a single bout of sinusitis, and I used to get it badly 3 or 4 times a year. Worth talking to GP.
Have you tried flushing your nose with saline? I used leftover contact lens solution!

seagulldown Sat 21-Jan-17 19:49:42

Sounds horrible. I've had a few bouts over the years and I've found the best way to ease my symptoms was using the Xylometazoline sprays. Also, using nasal/sinus rinses, taking ibuprofen and using a dry mouth gel. None of it made me suddenly feel cured but did help me get a few hours sleep which helped over all.

Howyoualldoworkme Sat 21-Jan-17 19:52:31

Try some Pain & Pressure Sudafed from the pharmacist. I am a martyr to sinuses and this is really effective. Or snort hot slightly salt water up your nose which is disgusting but works!

Mrsfrumble Sat 21-Jan-17 19:52:38

Hi Bravas. I'm taking nurofen and sudafed. Not sure the sudafed is actually working; occasionally my nose will unblock itself a few hours after I've taken it but that could be a coincidence. I have some Vicks decongestant spray but my nose is so blocked it can't get up there to do its job and just runs back out of my nostrils after I've used it!
Haven't seen the GP yet but I'll be tempted if it hasn't improved by Tuesday.

What spray did you have?

Olivialoves Sat 21-Jan-17 19:55:20

have you tried a sinus nasal rinse?
I LOVE mine

Mrsfrumble Sat 21-Jan-17 19:56:49

Thanks for the other replies! I type too slowly...

My problem with nose sprays and rinsing is that my nose is so thoroughly blocked I can't inhale or snort at all.

Dry mouth gel sounds good...

BlackDoglet Sat 21-Jan-17 19:59:05

Neil Med is your best friend! Amazon sell all the kits.

MerylPeril Sat 21-Jan-17 20:03:09

Get menthol flakes from the chemist and you put a few flakes (only a few!) in hot water and breath it in - it works really well.

TheFear Sat 21-Jan-17 20:07:16

Neil med rinse unless you have an infection.
The rinses spread infection.

If you lean forward and put your head between your knees is the pain severe?
If nothing is moving and you've pain when leaving forward you probably need an antibiotic.

I swear by garlic tablets. I take a quadruple dose daily and have done for the last year, I've only had one sinus infection since, after having multiple infections one after the other for years. I used to take sinutab every day, haven't taken it for a year now.

I feel your pain, I've suffered horrendously in the past, ended up with facial neuralgia a couple of times which was truly awful.

lingle Sat 21-Jan-17 20:08:08

Been there....sad

Was advised to "Blitz it" i.e. Try lots of different things

Vandenessa Sat 21-Jan-17 20:10:17

Acupuncture always works for me when I have a major flare up if saline not working.

Olivialoves Sat 21-Jan-17 20:12:15

the sudafed you want is the one you have to ask for behind the counter now.
brown pills

don't get the one off the shelf.

neil med is the one i use.

MollyHuaCha Sun 22-Jan-17 11:13:17

flowers Big hugs. I had sinusitis last year for four months and it was horrible. Being outside in a breeze was agony. Have you checked with your dentist in case you have an tooth infection which could have caused the sinusitis? Hope you feel better soon.

lingle Sun 22-Jan-17 12:28:59

Also had good reaction to acupuncture.

Ear cleared for the first time in months

jellycat Sun 22-Jan-17 12:36:49

I would just steam several times a day but especially before bed. Cut out the decongestants which don't work long term (they cause rebound congestion). I don't put anything in the water. I get sinusitis a lot BTW, due to having allergic rhinitis, so I've pretty much tried everything over the years!

BusterGonad Mon 23-Jan-17 12:09:26

You defiantly need the nasal spray and I would suggest antihistamines too and the methyl salts for the hot water steaming thingy! My mum really suffers with her sinuses and I suffer from eustachian tube dysfunction (similar symptoms) which causes blocked ears and hearing issues. I'm still getting over a bout of ear troubles and I was taking a antihistamine, abruprofen, ear drops to ease the pain, paracetamol and a antihistamine nasal spray.

BusterGonad Mon 23-Jan-17 12:10:50

I agree with jellycat, I didn't know about the rebound congestion until a very helpful pharmacist told me!

lingle Mon 23-Jan-17 14:50:33

we have two steam machines.... love them very much.

Rebound effect is less with nasal decongestants as they aren't running around your whole system.

I hadn't realised that the rinses spread infection if you already have infection brewing- I've certainly managed to make myself worse using them.

Mrsfrumble Mon 23-Jan-17 19:05:24

Thank you everyone! Still suffering on.

I'm sleeping better now, but being completely unable to small and taste food has sucked so much joy out of my life! Eating has been reduced to chewing whatever is at hand until my stomach stops rumbling.

Drug wise I'm sticking to ibuprofen for the achey head and face, then regular Sudafed and Vicks decongestant spray at bedtime. I've never heard of rebound congestion; I'm just desperate to get some relief and rest!

I'm certain that the infection is viral. DCs have had heavy colds with fevers and endless coughs since Christmas, and I had a few days of high temperature and full-body aches last weekend, then this. If I went to the GP, could they do anything for me?

TheWitchwithNoName Mon 23-Jan-17 19:17:02

It's been over a week so I really think you should see the doctor. Hope you feel better soon 💐

BusterGonad Mon 23-Jan-17 19:31:44

Definitely see the doctor, when my mums gets very bad she has antibiotics. Sometimes you need the big guns!

lingle Mon 23-Jan-17 20:21:48

re loss of taste, try buying things like ginger cordial - really spicy/citrussy stuff you normally wouldn't want.

It really is rubbish

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now