Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

The cough/asthma - any tips? Yucky - sorry!

(11 Posts)
goingmadinthecountry Sat 21-Jan-17 18:47:29

I have the same chesty cough as everyone else (thanks, dh) and because of my asthma it always hits me hard and really makes me unwell. Have been hospitalised a few times in the past but now know how to pace myself/not lie down/avoid all dairy etc. Coughing/heaving up stuff all the time. Not an infection so I know the doctor won't give antibiotics. I'm also a bit emetophobic so loathe that bit but hey, no-one likes it.

Have you found any remedies/helpful home ideas that help at all? Foods/drinks that help/to avoid? Please?

Thank you.

Badders123 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:51:15

Ds1 has had it and is also asthmatic - dr gave him some prednisone which helped him a lot
I would suggest you go to dr and get some

LtGreggs Sat 21-Jan-17 18:56:58

Take more asthma meds (double your number of puffs, or move to 3x a day instead of two etc)

Drink lots of water etc - it will help thin down the mucous & make it easier to cough out...

Have caffeine / coffee - I read this in the past somewhere and I've tried it out and works for me - can't remember the details, but it has a similar effect to ventolin. Strong coffee and a quiet sit down can help avoid an asthma attack - with a bit of luck. (Not advocating you rely on this as main asthma management!)

Avoid wine & beer - works for me, I think the sulphates can be triggers?

My sympathies!

LtGreggs Sat 21-Jan-17 18:59:59

Also try to avoid sudden air temp / humidity changes? That can definitely make my asthma worse - eg today going from warm dry house to freezing foggy outdoors. Basically try and keep your 'air' environment consistent?

goingmadinthecountry Sat 21-Jan-17 19:04:36

Not really fancying wine right now so that's no problem. Will up my water though. More coffee I can definitely do! I'm not really wheezing - it's the coughing I really hate. Thanks for the tips - always happens at the weekend when the surgery's closed!

goingmadinthecountry Sat 21-Jan-17 19:08:10

Actually, boiler is currently waiting for gas man so no central heating tonight and I'm product testing an air purifier for mumsnet right now - so far, so good.
It's very chilly! Wearing thermals and ski socks and have sent out dh for curry! We're all too ill to cook.

LtGreggs Sat 21-Jan-17 19:15:13

I bet a strong curry, alongside loads of water, will probably help!

Natsku Sat 21-Jan-17 19:30:04

I have cough-variant asthma, fucking sucks. Definitely up the asthma meds (last time the asthma nurse had me taking the preventer inhaler three puffs three times a day) and push for a cough suppressant that actually works like codeine syrup or ephedrine (ephedrine works the best for me)

dodobedoop Sun 22-Jan-17 17:05:59

My DD has cough related asthma. Anything with menthol affects her, so vapo rub and the plug ins.
A humidifier really helps. Avoid being too warm, heating on low and no snugly duvet!

Also as pp have said, speak with your GP about increasing your inhalers. DD was prescribed Serotide last winter, it's a steroid plus reliever combined. Big improvement since then.

booox Sun 22-Jan-17 18:21:25

Agree with Natsku- last asthma review the nurse said even the slightest hint anything is going on to your chest double the preventer and use the blue as needed.

And codeine based cough meds - pholcodine (sp?) from boots is good.

Warm drinks e.g. Ribena, I didn't know about reducing dairy but I reckon it could help.

goingmadinthecountry Sun 22-Jan-17 22:27:49

Thanks all - am starting to feel better just in time for work tomorrow smile but have had a pretty static weekend. Knowing that lying down will make me be sick is the worst bit - plus any silly little crackly noises I make when I breathe.
Ah well, hopefully on my way out of the horrid bit now. Lots of great tips thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now