Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Twitching/no thyroid

(1 Post)
Picklesandpies Sat 21-Jan-17 17:39:22

Hi,

I had my thyroid removed about 2.5 years ago as I was hyperthyroid but the carbimazole caused my immune system to crash so I had to have surgery. Things were ok for over a year but then I suddenly became very ill with horrendous panic attacks and twitching muscles. It turned out I was on too much thyroxine (200mg a day - I'm 8 stone 12) so in six weeks my T4 had doubled to just below the upper limit.

The panic attacks faded away but the twitching has never gone away. I did see a neurologist who said it was unlikely to be anything serious as that isn't how those things start. I'm just really fed up with it now though - it worries me - although I know that a year and a quarter later I'd know if there was something desperately wrong. I feel depressed that it's still there and I can't switch off from it 100%.

Has anyone else got any experience of long term benign muscle twitches? I know there is benign fasciculation syndrome but I'm not sure if that's it. Just feel very alone with it.

Thank you.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now