Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Urinary tract infection

(6 Posts)
Purplebluebird Sat 21-Jan-17 09:26:47

Help! I have this, and am on the last day of an antibiotic course. However my symptoms have not improved, and I can barely get anything out of my bladder. It's so frustrating sad Also constipated which doesn't help, and the husk fibre drink I got isn't really doing much.

Any advice? Pretty please.

zen1 Sat 21-Jan-17 09:31:23

It quite likely that the particular antibiotic you've been prescribed isn't effective on the bacteria causing your infection. I suffer from utis and often find that trimethoprim (often the go-to antibiotic for uti) doesn't work. I would go to walk-in if possible and ask to try a different medication, and at the same time ask them to send a sample off to the lab for analysis so they can see exactly what the bacteria will be sensitive to.

tobee Sat 21-Jan-17 17:17:56

Is it slow release? I had uti before Christmas and had slow release trimethoprim for 3 days (standard drug) and my last dose was a Saturday am. And I thought I'd need another prescription as I was still suffering that evening. But on Sunday morning it had gone. I was amazed. Here's hoping same for you? But zen' s answer could also be true.

Purplebluebird Sat 21-Jan-17 17:34:40

I don't know if it is slow release or not, but it is called trimethoprim. I was given 3 days of it, and my GP said to come back on Monday if no improvement. Have the last pill to take tonight.

zen I can't go to a walk in, as I believe there is none in my area, and I can't drive + have 3 year old in tow.

Guess I will just have to be patient and hope for the best! This is very frustrating.

zen1 Sat 21-Jan-17 18:20:09

Definitely go back on Monday if no improvement. Utis are miserable. I normally find that once they find an antibiotic the bacteria is sensitive to, you start feeling better pretty quickly. Hope you feel better soon!

Purplebluebird Sat 21-Jan-17 18:35:11

Thank you zen!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now