Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

St John's wort, POP and breakthrough bleeding - any experience?

(5 Posts)
Spookysook Thu 19-Jan-17 10:02:55

Hi

I am on Cerazette for heavy periods and this has stopped my periods completely. I'm not sexually active so not relying on it as a contraceptive.

I've bought some St John's wort to lift my mood a bit, and I know it interferes with the efficacy of the pill as a contraceptive. I wondered if anybody had any experience of this as I would like to take it but I am worried about breakthrough bleeding. I have only experienced breakthrough bleeding once, as a young woman, when I first started on a low dose combined pill. In those days I didn't have problematic periods.

I went on Cerazette because of flooding and anaemia. I could cope with breakthrough bleeding if it was just a bit of spotting like I had before but I am nervous about flooding again.

I know this is a long shot as it is very unlikely anyone would take the pill and SJW but I thought I would ask anyway.

Spookysook Fri 20-Jan-17 19:44:56

I know this is quite specific so probably won't get any replies buit I am giving it a little bump just in case.

BWatchWatcher Sun 22-Jan-17 07:44:46

You shouldn't take St John's wort and the pill together. St John's wort will stop the pill working.

TheoriginalLEM Sun 22-Jan-17 07:46:46

St John's wort doesn't work

Spookysook Mon 06-Mar-17 08:53:10

Sorry, I never came back to this. I have been taking the SJW for about a week now and haven't had any breakthrough bleeding yet. If I start to bleed heavily I will stop taking the SJW but fingers crossed.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now