Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

WHat are these bumps?! (Picture)

(19 Posts)
BalaRua Thu 19-Jan-17 08:55:37

I've come up in these funny lumps on my fingers. They're like spots/blisters and hurt to touch and feel very hard. Does anybody recognise them? Please excuse ds' foot smile they're on my left fingers and then my right thumb so no proper pattern! thanks

NavyandWhite Thu 19-Jan-17 09:10:57

Are they extremely itchy?

Dogwalks2 Thu 19-Jan-17 09:15:55

I had this once they went away as quickly as they appeared a day or two perhaps described them to a doctor friend and he said they where some sort of wart.

FrogTime Thu 19-Jan-17 09:16:20

I get this every winter on one hand. For me it's just the cold and because i wash my hands excessively at work (although you'd think it would be both hands!)
Mine feels a bit better when i moisturize everyday but doesnt clear off til the warmer months. It has never caused me big problems but if its very painful maybe the Dr can give you a medicated cream or something?

TheWrathFromHighAtopTheThing Thu 19-Jan-17 09:18:44

Looks like Pompholyx. A type of dermatitis/eczema.

NavyandWhite Thu 19-Jan-17 09:22:13

I had similar as a girl after handing a furry caterpillar! It was SO itchy. Cream from the GP soon shifted it.

Only1scoop Thu 19-Jan-17 09:23:54

Hand foot and mouth?
Do you feel a bit crappy generally?
Any mouth ulcers?

bruffin Thu 19-Jan-17 09:29:57

Hate the name pomphlex, the other name is dishydrotic eczema. You can get eumovate over the counter at the chemist now. It is what gp prescribes for mine

BalaRua Thu 19-Jan-17 09:37:34

I feel ok generally. Had a screaming temp a few days back and extremely itchy hands but the itch has gone. These really hurt. I rang up the surgery to see a nurse but the receptionist said I should see a dr and I'm going at 3.20 this afternoon. They've been worsening for a few days. Definitely not hives

PuntCuffin Thu 19-Jan-17 09:49:01

Look like chilblains to me. Have you spent a long period out in the cold recently?

dnamummy Thu 19-Jan-17 11:15:10

I'm also saying pompholyx eczema - my father used to get on his feet and I get on my hands. Can go months without and will then get a flare up, stress and heat seem to trigger on me, so you can almost guarantee I'll get a break out just as I'm heading off for summer holiday!

Usually lasts a couple of weeks and starts with blisters that feel so deep and sore that you could imagine a needle was embedded (remember my father really hobbling when he had a breakout) they tend to get wider, shallower and go red and itchy before going. On my knuckles they leave some slight flattened scar tissue.

Never found anything that really helps to. E honest, and once I knew what it was, that it wasn't contagious and that it would go I tend to just leave alone as much as possible (not scratching in the itchy phase is the challenge!)

Good luck.

BalaRua Thu 19-Jan-17 15:35:34

Well done all! It's pompholyx.

FrizzBombDelight Thu 19-Jan-17 15:42:48

I get this but in the summer and my gp said it was a mild allergy to the sun, taking antihistamines clears it right up. Worth a try for those who have found no cure.

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Jan-17 15:43:58

Did you get steroid cream? I had to avoid liquid hand wash as it irritates me but I'm ok with bars of soap. Not had it since and I had it for 6 months originally,drove me insane it was so itchy!

DameDiazepamTheDramaQueen Thu 19-Jan-17 15:45:56

Apparently it starts off as an irritation/ allergy then stays. Hair dressers get it a lot my nurse said as their hands are in contact with lots of products.

InglouriousBasterd Thu 19-Jan-17 15:50:25

I get it in the heat terribly - Aveeno hand cream clears it well.

BalaRua Thu 19-Jan-17 19:45:00

I've got steroid cream and aveeno. Had never heard of pompholyx before today.

bruffin Thu 19-Jan-17 19:58:18

its also known as dishydrotic eczema. I used to get it on my hands about 2 weeks before my period, now get it on my feet instead

Blacksox Thu 19-Jan-17 20:00:23

I sometimes get pompholyx (self diagnosed) on my palms.

I use my mum's Diprobase and it goes.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now