Advertisement

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Viral Demyelination?

(8 Posts)
Wallace Fri 23-Feb-07 20:50:25

Anyone know what this is? In simple terms please

Nikki76 Fri 23-Feb-07 20:55:19

The nerves of the body are in a sense electrical and will 'conduct' as it were. They have a protective covering called the Myelin sheath (much like the wires of a plug have protective cable) with gaps in them called Nodes of Raniver to enable the impulses to 'jump' from node to node and finally trigger an action - jumping away from a hot cup etc.

I'm not a doctor but viral demyelination in my opinion, would probably refer to a degrading in the myelin sheath owing to a virus....have you googled viral demyelination?

Donk Fri 23-Feb-07 20:56:20

Not sure exactly but nerves have a myelin sheath (fatty coating) which is essential if the electrical signals are to travel down the fibre and not just leak away. Demyelination would be the removal of this fatty sheath.
Viral would mean that it is being caused by a viral infection of some sort. Different viruses cause a variety of diseases such as colds, 'flu and chickenpox
I'm sure that Martianbishop will be along to give chapter and verse as a biologist! ME I'm just a (currently ex) physics teacher who likes biology!

liath Fri 23-Feb-07 20:56:30

Rare. Viral infection causes the myelin around nerves to be damaged. It's the myelin that acts as insulation around nerves enabling them to conduct properly. When the myelin is damaged the nerves can't conduct which can lead to problems in the area those nerves supply. If they supply, say, skin then you could get numbness. If they supply a muscle that muscle could become paralysed.

It's usually temporary. Guillain Barre syndrome is the best known sort.

HTH

Wallace Sat 24-Feb-07 08:11:06

Thank you. Meant to get back on last night but I fell asleep on the sofa.

Dh had been suffering a headache for days and it got really bad, and he said his balance was a bit off and coordination on his left side. Took him to the emergency doctor on Tuesday, who sent him to the hospital where he was admitted. After many tests including a CT scan and Lumbar puncture the diagnosis was "Viral Demyelination" and he was discharged yesterday. I wasn't there when the doctor was explaining the diagnoses and dh isn't the best at relaying this sort of info!

I did google it, and was it was quite heavy stuff and rather frightening that I found. All your info is much more helpful. Especially the "usually temporary" thank you.

liath Sat 24-Feb-07 19:24:58

Hope your Dh is feeling better soon, presumably he has some kind of follow up arranged? My BIL had symptoms attributed to this a while ago - they came & went a few times then vanished completely. Googling will come up with all sorts of stuff about MS which is enough to freak anyone out! Shouldn't apply to your DH though.

Wallace Sat 24-Feb-07 20:39:14

Thanks for the reassurance. He has a follow-up appt in May. How long did the symptoms take to go away completely? It is awful to see dh in such pain

liath Sun 25-Feb-07 08:15:58

They came and went over a period of months I think (was a while ago) but was a droopy muscle in his face.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now