Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Does anyone take Methyl Folate/Folic acid?

(12 Posts)
Katymac Tue 17-Jan-17 19:00:38

I am looking for a recommendation for 5mg Methyl Folate

Does anyone take it?

CMOTDibbler Wed 18-Jan-17 10:12:56

I've not found Methyl folate in 5mg - I just take 5 of the Jarrow 1mg methyl tablets a day. I have folate deficiency anaemia atm

Katymac Thu 19-Jan-17 12:10:37

Thanks are they tablets or gel capsules?

YoureMyWifeNowDave Thu 19-Jan-17 12:21:12

I take methylfolate as I have MTHFR, I have 800mcg tablets and generally take 2 or 3 a day when I remember before I found out about methylfolate I was prescribed 5mg folic acid to take whilst pregnant but my consultant said that such a high dose of the methylfolate wasn't necessary as it is in the form that is usuable by the body.

Katymac Thu 19-Jan-17 12:27:17

Could you link to your tablets as I can only find gel capsules & they tend to not be absorbed?

outputgap Thu 19-Jan-17 12:27:23

I have MTHFR too and the consultant that I saw at the end of pregnancy said I just need to take a generic folic acid. I'm just taking a Boots own folic acid. Should I be taking more/ something else?

YoureMyWifeNowDave Thu 19-Jan-17 12:40:50

These www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001LR2RVQ/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1 are the tablets I get Katymac

outputgap it was a private fertility treatment consultant that recommended the 5mg folic acid and subsequently the methylfolate - I have homozygous MTHFR alongside other fertility issues and had multiple IVF treatments. The NHS consultant was happy for me to continue taking it throughout my pregnancies but I don't think they would have started the treatment themselves as I got the impression he didn't think it made a lot of difference, although he did say that the NHS was starting to consider whether MTHFR did have an impact on early miscarriage during my last pregnancy (DS is nearly 6 months now so quite recently)

Katymac Thu 19-Jan-17 12:54:19

I'll see if it makes any differance as I am taking folic acid right now - but it's been suggested that I may be having difficulties digesting it

It's all a bit trial & error as my GP is disinterested

YoureMyWifeNowDave Thu 19-Jan-17 12:59:17

Katymac do you take B6 and B12 alongside the folic acid/ methylfolate? My consultant said these help your body utilise the folic acid

outputgap Thu 19-Jan-17 13:11:47

Thanks Dave. I have a similar history, and took 5mg folic acid through two pregnancies but interestingly not my first.

Katymac Thu 19-Jan-17 13:15:51

I'm using the methyl folate to help me metabolise B12 (I'm deficient)

B6 is a new one on me (I also take D, K, Iron, Magnesium, Calcium & Zinc)

off to work back later

Katymac Wed 25-Jan-17 11:10:44

What dose are people taking please?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now