Talk

Advanced search

Mumsnet has not checked the qualifications of anyone posting here. If you have any medical concerns we suggest you consult your GP.

Hysterectomy or ablation?

(6 Posts)
ALemonyPea Mon 16-Jan-17 21:53:17

I've been out on the waiting list for a hysterectomy, but was told I could try an ablation first if I wanted to.

Mainly getting one because of ridiculous periods that last for three months at a time, of heavy flooding and huge clots. Only happens once a year, and tablets don't really help.

When I first had my appointment a couple of years ago I had wanted an ablation, but was told because of having PCOS and being overweight I was at high risk of womb cancer, so the only option was hysterectomy.

I lost the required weight, I've gone from morbidly obese to a BMI of 27 and actively losing weight still, since last year.

Gynaecologist is very happy for the operation to go ahead, getting it done laparoscopicly, and I was all set for it mentally, but then was told it would be a full one to limit the dangers of cancer, and it would all be removed through my vagina rather than the laparoscopic cuts.

This has freaked me out a bit, I'm seriously thinking of not having it done and just trying the ablation.

Does anyone have any advice, or has had either done?

Costacoffeeplease Mon 16-Jan-17 21:59:33

I had a full abdominal hysterectomy just over 4 years ago, due to fibroids and really heavy periods, recovery takes a while but it's still the best thing I've done, absolutely no regrets

tobee Mon 16-Jan-17 23:54:45

I agree with Costa. Had hysterectomy summer 2015 but had my ovaries conserved. Just great not having those terrible periods.

ALemonyPea Tue 17-Jan-17 07:40:22

Costa, is abdominal where they cut you rather than do it laparoscopically? I've been told that is a possibility due to previous c sections.

Thank you both for replying. I know hysterectomy is the better option, just freaking out.

Costacoffeeplease Tue 17-Jan-17 07:50:16

Yes, but the cut is low down, it's not in the middle of the abdomen

lizzie1971 Tue 17-Jan-17 08:06:15

I had an ablation done four years ago as was having prolonged periods with flooding and clots. Was done as day surgery and was crampy for the following 24 hours but I was back at work within a few days. Had just spotting for the first few periods afterwards but now I have no bleeding at all. It has worked fantastically for me. I was not offered hysterectomy at all.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now